Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Monday expressed concern over a large number of waqf properties being encroached upon and warned of "strict action" against the guilty.
"Serious irregularities in state waqf boards have come to our notice. A high-level inquiry is on into these matters and strict action will be taken against those responsible," Naqvi said.
Addressing the 75th meeting of Central Waqf Council here, the Minister said the land grabbers were creating obstacles in the development of waqf properties and utilisation of the same for welfare of the society.
Naqvi said the central government was working towards socio-economic and educational empowerment of minorities.
The Minority Affairs Minister said "proper utilisation" of waqf properties was an important part of government's efforts to empower minorities.
"We are making efforts to ensure that all the waqf boards and their records across the country are made digital," he said.
"The government will provide all possible help to the state waqf boards in this regard," he added.
Naqvi said a one-man "Board of Adjudication" at the Central level has been established under the chairmanship of retired Supreme Court justice to deal with complaints and disputes regarding waqf properties.
Three-member tribunals are being established in the states to deal with such problems, he said, adding that 24 states have established these tribunals so far.
There are about 4,49,314 registered and non-registered waqf properties across the country. The number of these properties will be increased after computerisation of waqf boards, the minister added.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)