You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

At least 19 killed in suicide attack on Afghan protesters

AFP  |  Jalalabad 

A suicide attack on protesters in eastern on Tuesday killed at least 19 people, officials said, as an uptick in violence across the country dampens hopes for peace talks and elections.

Another 57 people were wounded in the blast in province, where demonstrators had blocked a highway in protest over the appointment of a local police chief, said. confirmed the number of dead and wounded.

"Dozens of wounded people have been brought to Jalalabad hospitals so far," Miakhil added.

The attack came hours after a double bombing in front of a girls' school in the provincial capital Jalalabad, which killed a boy and wounded four others. The first explosion happened in front of girls' school at around 8:30 am (0400 GMT), Khogyani told AFP earlier.

A second bomb went off as students from a neighbouring boys' school and locals gathered at the scene, he added.

There has been no claim of responsibility for any of the attacks, but the and the Islamic State (IS) group are active in Nangarhar, which borders

A wave of violence across in recent weeks has claimed the lives of hundreds of civilians and security forces, as the makes gains on the battlefield and IS launches deadly urban attacks.

The fighting has tempered optimism that had been tentatively growing as Afghan and international players ratchet up efforts to convince the to negotiate an end to the 17-year conflict. An unprecedented ceasefire in June followed by talks between US officials and

Taliban representatives in in July raised hopes that peace negotiations could bring an end to the fighting.

There has been speculation the two sides will meet again this month. The Taliban have long insisted on direct talks with and refused to negotiate with the Afghan government, which they see as illegitimate. But newly appointed US has cancelled further talks with the militants until he has reviewed the American strategy, a in told AFP on the condition of anonymity.

The information could not be immediately confirmed. One militant source, a senior Taliban based in neighbouring Pakistan, had told AFP he expected more talks to be held "soon".

The intensified fighting has also fuelled speculation over whether Afghanistan's long-delayed will go ahead on October 20. The country's already overstretched security forces will be tasked with protecting thousands of polling stations around the country at a time when they are already struggling to beat back insurgents.

Delivering ballot papers and monitoring the vote, which is seen as a test run for next year's presidential election, will be challenging, officials have warned. In the past two days Taliban fighters killed nearly 60 members of the security forces in a spate of attacks in the country's north and threatened a provincial capital for the second time in as many months.

After seizing a military base in Sar-e-Pul, Taliban fighters were closing in on the provincial capital in a situation that could result in "disaster" if reinforcements were not sent, the area's warned on Monday.

Baqizoy compared the threat to the Taliban's extraordinary raid last month on the provincial capital of Ghazni -- fighters held large parts of the city located just two hours from for days.

On Tuesday security forces had managed to push back Taliban fighters by a couple of kilometres, locals and officials told AFP.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, September 11 2018. 16:55 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU