At least eight people died and dozens were injured, some seriously, after a heater exploded and started a fire at the packed premises of a local residents' association in the north of Portugal, officials said.
A wood-burning stove exploded in the two-story building late last night in the town of Tondela, around 250 kilometres north of the Portuguese capital of Lisbon, local mayor Jose Gomes Jesus told reporters.
Witnesses speaking to local television channels said the fire caused panic among the roughly 60 people in the building who were taking part in an evening amateur card tournament.
They said people crowded the exits as thick smoke filled the building. Dozens of fire crews and two rescue helicopters were at the scene taking the injured to hospital.
Authorities could not immediately be reached for comment.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)