You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Connected Chinese billionaire hits back at Australia ban

AFP  |  Sydney 

The Chinese barred from on suspicions he is part of a influence campaign said he had been treated in a "grotesquely unfair manner" Friday and suggested his political donations could be returned.

The long-term resident had been a prominent donor to Australia's two major parties before being effectively banned from the country Wednesday.

In a statement said the decision to cancel his residency visa was "based on unfounded speculations that are prejudiced and groundless."

Huang led one of a series of "reunification councils" that advocate in support of policies.

Huang described the groups as being "local community organisations lawfully registered" without backing from foreign governments, and called on to present evidence of wrongdoing.

agencies believe the groups are fronts for influence campaigns designed to skew Australian

experts and former officials say the groups take direction from the United Front Work Department, a agency.

After donating millions of dollars to both the Liberal and Labour parties, Huang insisted he followed the rules.

"If any of the past donations I made was deemed inappropriate by any political party or political figure, I again propose the option for them to duly return the amount donated without the need to pay any interest," he said.

"The returned money will be then donated to Australian charitable organisations accordingly.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, February 08 2019. 21:35 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU