You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Lehmann's contract extended as Australia coach

AFP  |  Sydney 

Cricket Australia said today it has extended the contract of head coach Darren Lehmann until October 2019 to keep him in place during the next Ashes series and World Cup.

Lehmann's contract was due to expire in June next year. CA said it has been extended to cover the 2017-18 Ashes series in Australia and the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup in England and Wales.

Since Lehmann's appointment in 2013 he has taken Australia's Test and one-day teams to the top world ranking, won a home Ashes series 5-0, beat South Africa in a Test series away from home and won last year's ICC Cricket World Cup.

"2019 is such a big year for Australian cricket and we wanted certainty and stability for the playing group, with both the coach and assistant coach contracted, as we build towards the Ashes series and the 2019 World Cup," CA's executive general manager Pat Howard said in a statement.

"Darren has had great success in the role and he and the national selection panel deserve a huge amount of credit for taking a relatively young side to number one in the world in two of the three formats.

"The commitment he shows to the role goes far broader than that of the Australian men's team and extends into the global support of the game through his work on the ICC Cricket Committee."

Lehmann said he was looking forward to the challenges.

"I am incredibly grateful for the support and faith the Cricket Australia Board and the players have put in me," he said.

"I absolutely love doing this job and as far as I am concerned it is the best job in the world.

"There is still a lot I would like to achieve in the time I have left and we have a lot of hard work ahead of us, especially with an upcoming Test series in India and a home Ashes series.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Mon, August 01 2016. 15:42 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU