You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Malegoan blast: NIA records statement of ATS officer

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

NIA has recorded the statement of a suspended Maharashtra ATS officer who made a sensational claim before a court that two absconding accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case were dead.

The NIA had recently summoned former senior inspector Mehmood Mujawar of Maharashtra's Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) in Mumbai and recorded his statement, official sources said.

The sources said he had been asked to provide evidence about his claims made before the Solapur court that Ramchandra Kalsangre and Sandeep Dange are "no more".

Mujawar was suspended after a case under Arms Act and criminal intimidation was filed against him.

"Sandeep Dange and Ramji Kalsangra are in fact no more but are shown alive in Malegaon bomb blast case by high-ranking police officers," Mujawar had claimed in the court last December.

The sources said Mujawar's claims would be ascertained and verified independently by the NIA officers as both the accused are wanted in connection with the Malegaon case and the agency has announced a cash reward also for any information on their whereabouts.

They said a final decision on the veracity of the claims made will be taken after ascertaining these and it would be informed to the special NIA court.

A bomb strapped to a motorcycle exploded in Malegaon on September 29, 2008, killing seven people and injuring around 100.

According to the investigating agencies, the blast was carried out by right-wing extremists and 11 people including Lt Col Prasad Purohit and sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur are at present in jail.

The state ATS, which was initially probing the case, had charged the accused under various sections of the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) and under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), Indian Penal Code, Indian Explosives Act and the Arms Act.

However, when the case was handed over to the NIA, the agency filed a supplementary charge sheet by which charges under MCOCA were dropped on the ground that there wasn't sufficient material.

The NIA charge sheet also dropped names of Thakur and five others from the list of accused. Apart from Thakur, those given clean chit by NIA are Shivnarayan Kalsangra, Shyam Sahu, Praveen Takkalki, Lokesh Sharma and Dhan Singh.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Mon, February 13 2017. 20:13 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU