You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Melbourne stabbing attacker identified as Hassan Khalif Shire Ali from Somalia

Press Trust of India  |  Melbourne 

Saturday identified the man, who set a car on fire and stabbed three people, killing one of them, before being fatally shot in the Australian city of Melbourne, as Hassan Khalif Ali from

The police said it has executed in two properties and spoke to Ali's wife as part of the investigation.

Ali, who was driving a ute, loaded with gas bottles, into the Bourke Street, allegedly set it alight and began stabbing members of the public Friday.

He was shot by police as he lunged towards them with a knife. He later died in a hospital.

confirmed Ali died in the hospital after being shot by police.

One man, who is yet to be formally identified, died at the scene after the stabbing. A 26-year-old man was in a stable condition in the Royal Hospital, while a 58-year-old also remains in hospital with

Police were treating the attack as terror-related at this stage, and counter-terrorism investigations were continuing into Ali's background.

Ashton said he believed the suspect moved to from in 1990s, and that his family members have been known to police on terrorism-related matters.

On Saturday, the Joint Counter Terrorism Team began executing on two homes in Werribee and

Ashton said police had spoken to Ali's wife.

He further said Ali was was the brother of a man arrested in relation to committing acts in preparation for a terrorist attack.

"He is known to both and federal intelligence authorities," Ashton said, adding that ''there is no ongoing threat that we know of ... as I speak to you.''

"But certainly we are treating it as a terrorism incident. He's got family associations that are well known to us," he said.

According to media reports, the IS had claimed responsibility for the attack via the agency, which said the man was "one of Islamic State fighters" and had responded to IS calls for attacks in countries that are part of the international coalition fighting the militants in and

In a statement, Australian said he condemned the act of terrorism in Melbourne, describing it as an "evil and cowardly attack".

He said he had been briefed by and security agencies and acknowledged the investigation by the Joint Counter Terrorism Team, led by the Victoria Police.

"Australians will never be intimidated by these appalling attacks and we will continue to go about our lives and enjoy the freedoms that the terrorists detest," he said.

and the also condemned the attack.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sat, November 10 2018. 06:15 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU