Battles raged Monday near a Yemeni port crucial for humanitarian aid, but Saudi Arabia and its allies said they were committed to de-escalating hostilities with rebels as calls for a ceasefire mount.
Yemeni government forces, backed by a regional military coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the UAE, say they are now positioned around both the north and south of Hodeida, where clashes have left dozens dead.
Rebels and government sources both reported intense fighting in the area Monday, despite calls by the UN and the United States -- which provides military support to the Saudi-led camp -- for an end to the war.
A source in the Saudi-led coalition told AFP the clashes were not "offensive operations", adding that the alliance was "committed to keeping the Hodeida port open".
But three officials with the Yemeni military said fighting continued to flare around Hodeida, whose port is the entry point for three quarters of the country's imports.
The head of the Huthis' revolutionary council, Mohammed Ali al-Huthi, on Monday reported a "military escalation by the coalition," slamming the operation as "a strenuous attempt to block talks aimed at ending the war and finding peace".
The officials say government forces are trying to advance on the outskirts of Hodeida with the aim of surrounding the city and cutting off a major rebel supply route.
The coalition source however said the government alliance was "committed to de-escalating hostilities in Yemen and strongly supportive of the UN envoy's political process".
"If the Huthis fail to show up for peace talks again, this might lead (us) to restart the offensive operation in Hodeida," the source said.
"The humanitarian situation in Yemen is unacceptable. We are committed to ending the conflict as soon as possible."
UN envoy Martin Griffiths aims to bring the government of Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi and the Huthis to Sweden for talks in the coming month.
The Saudi-led alliance had suspended an offensive to take Hodeida in August, ahead of UN efforts to hold negotiations in Geneva that eventually collapsed the following month.
Medics at two hospitals in Hodeida province said they had counted the bodies of a total of 74 rebels and dozens of wounded, requesting anonymity as they were not authorised to brief the press.
Sources at a military hospital in government-held Mokha, south of Hodeida, said 15 troops were killed over the same period.
The World Health Organisation estimates nearly 10,000 people have been killed since then.
Human rights groups say the toll could be five times higher.
Fourteen million people now stand at the brink of famine in Yemen, which the United Nations has called the world's worst humanitarian crisis and "a living hell" for children.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)