Business Standard

Dialysis business in growth mode amid rising treatment demand in India

The industry estimates that there are some 20 million patients with chronic kidney disease in India, but only 20 per cent get dialysis treatment

Healthcare, hospitals, patients, dialysis
Premium

Every year, India adds 600,000 to 700,000 patients in need of dialysis.

Sohini Das Mumbai
Every week, 220,000 to 250,000 Indians undergo three sessions each of haemodialysis (a treatment to filter wastes and water from the blood). But that amounts to a fraction of Indians who need this treatment. The industry estimates that there are some 20 million patients with chronic kidney disease in India, but only 20 per cent get dialysis treatment. The remaining 80 per cent either can’t access it because they live in rural areas or can’t afford it since dialysis is largely an out-of-pocket expense. The affordability factor is striking because dialysis in India costs $25 a session compared with $300

Don't miss the most important news and views of the day. Get them on our Telegram channel

First Published: Jan 24 2023 | 6:53 PM IST

Explore News

To read the full story, subscribe to BS Premium now, at just Rs 249/ month.

Key stories on business-standard.com are available only to BS Premium subscribers.

Register to read more on Business-Standard.com