Ibrahim Qubaisi, head of Hezbollah’s missile division, was reportedly killed in an Israeli airstrike on September 24. Watch the video to know the latest updates.
From the dais of the UN General Assembly just a year ago, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu triumphantly hailed a new peace he said would sweep through the Middle East. A year later, as he travels back to that same world stage, that vision is in tatters. The devastating war in Gaza is about to hit the one-year mark. Israel is on the cusp of a wider regional war with the Iran-backed Lebanese group Hezbollah. And the country finds itself increasingly isolated internationally and led by a polarising leader whose handling of the conflict has sparked protests both in global capitals and on the streets of his own country. And it's not just the mushrooming regional conflicts weighing Israel down. Netanyahu will head to New York burdened also by what could be an imminent warrant for his arrest by the International Criminal Court, what would put him in a fellowship of sorts with Russian President Vladimir Putin and former Sudanese leader Omar al-Bashir. He arrives almost at a point o
Warning sirens also sounded in other areas of central Israel, including the city of Netanya
It has been a devastating week for Hezbollah and the people of Lebanon. Bombs hidden in the group's pagers and walkie-talkies killed dozens of people and wounded thousands many of them Hezbollah members. An Israeli strike in Beirut killed one of its top commanders. And Israel has bombed what it said were 1,600 militant sites across large parts of Lebanon, killing hundreds of people and displacing thousands. Israel says its objective is to secure the border so that tens of thousands of people who fled under Hezbollah fire nearly a year ago can return to their homes. But it's far from clear that its recent operations as tactically successful as they were will bring that about. No one either in or out of the defense establishment has any clue as to how to translate these brilliant operational achievements into political benefit, into a real victory that will stop the war in the north, columnist Nadav Eyal wrote in Israel's Yediot Ahronot newspaper. As long as Hezbollah retains any
Israel's offensive since Monday morning has killed 569 people, including 50 children, and wounded 1,835 in Lebanon, Health Minister Firass Abiad told Al Jazeera Mubasher TV
Israel is shifting its focus from Gaza to the northern frontier, where Hezbollah has been firing rockets into Israel in support of Hamas, which is also backed by Iran
The strikes have piled pressure on Hezbollah, which last week suffered heavy losses when thousands of pagers and walkie-talkies used by its members exploded in the worst security breach in its history
Iran has accused Israel of escalating the West Asian war after Israeli strikes in Lebanon killed 492 people on Monday. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu predicted 'complicated' days ahead
Some 1,650 people were wounded in the strikes and about 100 women and children were among the dead, the Lebanese health ministry said
Lebanon's Health Ministry says a wave of Israeli airstrikes across the country on Monday have killed 50 people and wounded more than 300. The ministry said that the preliminary toll included women and children. The airstrikes hit wide areas in southern and northeastern Lebanon. The Israeli military said it struck 300 targets in Lebanon as it steps up pressure against the Hezbollah militant group. The army announced the strikes on the social media platform X, posting a photo of what is said was the military chief, Lt Gen Herzi Halevi, approving additional attacks from military headquarters in Tel Aviv. It is one of the most intense barrages of airstrikes in nearly one year of fighting against Hezbollah. Halevi and other Israeli leaders have promised tougher action against Hezbollah in the coming days. As Israel was carrying out the attacks, Israeli authorities reported a series of air-raid sirens in northern Israel warning of incoming rocket fire from Lebanon. Israel earlier Mond
The Israeli military, meanwhile, launched its most widespread wave of airstrikes against Iran-backed Hezbollah
Israel's air force carried out dozens of airstrikes early Monday on southern Lebanon, state media and the Israeli military said. Residents of different villages in southern Lebanon posted photos on social media that they said showed their towns being struck. The state-run National News Agency also reported airstrikes in different areas. The Israeli military's Arab-language spokesperson said Israel's air force was attacking targets related to Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group. The spokesman said more details would be released later. The wave of airstrikes came after a tense day in which Hezbollah fired over 100 rockets into northern Israel, with some landing near the city of Haifa. Israel launched hundreds of airstrikes as well. Hezbollah's rocket attack came after an Israeli airstrike on a Beirut suburb on Friday killed a top Hezbollah military commander and more than a dozen Hezbollah members, along with dozens of civilians including women and children. Last week, thousands of .
Much of the world is dependent on factories in China for critical items like face masks, ingredients for critical medicines and parts for ventilators and other medical devices
Hezbollah's deputy leader Naim Kassem said Sunday that his group is now in an open-ended battle with Israel and he threatened more displacement for people in Israel's north. We admit that we are pained. We are humans. But as we are pained, you will also be pained, Kassem said at the funeral of top Hezbollah commander Ibrahim Akil. Your economy will be destroyed...and you will not achieve your goals, he said. Kassem added that Hezbollah, which has lost a group of senior military leaders in recent months has returned stronger, and the front line will witness this. He said a barrage of 100 rockets fired by the group deep into Israel early Sunday was only the beginning.
Israeli troops raided the offices of the satellite news network Al Jazeera in the Israeli-occupied West Bank early Sunday, ordering the bureau to shut down amid a widening campaign by Israel targeting the Qatar-funded broadcaster as it covers the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip. Al Jazeera aired footage of Israeli troops live on its Arabic-language channel ordering the office to be shut for 45 days. It follows an order issued in May that saw Israeli police raid Al Jazeera's broadcast position in East Jerusalem, seizing equipment there, preventing its broadcasts in Israel and blocking its websites. The move marked the first time Israel has ever shuttered a foreign news outlet operating in the country. However, Al Jazeera has continued operating in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and in the Gaza Strip, territories that the Palestinians hope to have for their future state. The Israeli military didn't respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press. Al Jazeera denounced the
The Lebanese militant group Hezbollah announced that it fired a barrage of missiles at a military base deep inside Israel early Sunday following an Israeli airstrike more than a day earlier that killed at least 37 people, including one of the militant group's senior leaders as well as women and children. It was not immediately clear if any of the rockets had hit their target. Israel's emergency medical services reported that a man was lightly wounded by shrapnel from a missile that was intercepted in a village in the lower Galilee. Local media reported that rockets shot from Lebanon were intercepted in the areas of Haifa and Nazareth. The Israeli military said only that it had monitored the launch of about ten rockets from Lebanon, of which most were intercepted. Hezbollah said it had launched dozens of Fadi 1 and Fadi 2 missiles" - a new type of weapon the group had not used before - at the Ramat David airbase, southeast of Haifa, "in response to the repeated Israeli attacks that .
Israel claimed the death of a senior Hezbollah military official after a rare Israeli airstrike on Beirut as the death toll rose Saturday to at least 31 people, with dozens more wounded, shortly after Hezbollah pounded northern Israel with 140 rockets. The strikes are part of a new cycle of escalation between the enemies that has raised fears of a full-out war erupting in the Middle East, particularly after two separate attacks in Lebanon in which communication devices exploded simultaneously around the country, reportedly killing 37 people and injuring more than 3,400 others. Israel and Hezbollah have traded fire regularly since Hamas' October 7 assault on southern Israel ignited the Israeli military's devastating offensive in Gaza. Gaza's Health Ministry says more than 41,000 Palestinians have been killed in the territory during the nearly 1-year-old Israel-Hamas war. The ministry does not differentiate between fighters and civilians in its count but says a little over half of tho
The death toll from an Israeli airstrike on a Beirut suburb has risen to 31, including seven women and three children, Lebanon's health minister said on Saturday. Firass Abiad told reporters 68 people were also wounded of whom 15 remain in hospital, adding that search and rescue operations were still ongoing, with the number of casualties likely to rise. The rare strike the deadliest targeting the Lebanese capital since the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war hit a densely populated southern neighbourhood on Friday afternoon during rush hour as people returned home. Israel said it killed 11 Hezbollah operatives, including Ibrahim Akil who was in charge of the group's elite Radwan Force. The militant group members were in a meeting in the basement of the building that was destroyed. Hezbollah announced overnight Friday that 15 of its operatives were killed by Israeli forces, but did not elaborate on the location of these deaths. Lebanese troops cordoned off the area preventing people from .
The meeting came amid an uptick in cross-border fire between Hezbollah and Israeli forces
Weaponising ordinary communication devices represents a new development in warfare, and targeting thousands of Lebanese people using pagers, two-way radios and electronic equipment without their knowledge is a violation of international human rights law, the United Nations human rights chief said Friday. Volker Turk told an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council there must be an independent and transparent investigation of the two attacks in Lebanon on Tuesday and Wednesday where these devices exploded, reportedly killing 37 people and injuring more than 3,400 others. Those who ordered and carried out these attacks must be held to account, he said. Lebanon has blamed Israel for the attacks, which appeared to target Hezbollah militants but also saw many civilian casualties, including children. Hezbollah has fought many conflicts with Israel, including a war in 2006, and it has conducted near-daily strikes against Israel to support Hamas militants who attacked Israel on Oct. ...