Sunday, May 24, 2026 | 05:20 PM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Page 44 - Manipur

Manipur violence: Congress, BJP take out candlelight marches in Jaipur

The Congress took out a candlelight march in Jaipur on Saturday evening protesting against the central government over the violence in Manipur. The BJP also took out a candlelight march under its "Nahi Sahega Rajasthan" campaign against the Congress government. The BJP march, in the Banipark area, was led by party national general secretary and in-charge for Rajasthan Arun Singh. "People are suffering under the Congress rule and are ready to throw out the party from power. People are now saying: 'Nahi Sahega Rajasthan' (Rajasthan will no longer take it)," Singh said. The BJP leader said that a protest against the Congress government will be held in Jaipur on August 1. The Congress march, from Ambedkar Circle to Amar Jawan Jyoti, was led by party in-charge for Rajasthan Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa and state party president Govind Singh Dotasra. Before the Congress march began, Randhawa told reporters that the incident of two women being paraded naked in Manipur on May 4, a video of

Manipur violence: Congress, BJP take out candlelight marches in Jaipur
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 11:44 PM IST

'If there is double-engine govt, entire country will become like Manipur'

The entire country "will become like Manipur" in the coming days if the BJP remains in power, Samajwadi Party leader Ram Govind Chaudhary charged on Saturday. Addressing a programme in Ballia in Uttar Pradesh, the SP leader targeted the BJP over its pitch for "double-engine government" -- the same party being in power in state and Centre. "If there is a double-engine government in the country, then in the coming days the whole country will become like Manipur," he charged. "This should not be allowed to happen, it is the responsibility of all socialists," the former leader of opposition in the Uttar Pradesh assembly said. The northeastern state of Manipur has been witnessing ethnic violence since May 3, in which more than 160 people have died. Chaudhary said that two women being paraded naked in Manipur on May 4, a video of which has surfaced this week, is a blot not only on the law and order situation but on the entire humanity. He appealed to the President to take cognizance of

'If there is double-engine govt, entire country will become like Manipur'
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 10:52 PM IST

MoS & Manipur MP says interfaith committee formed to bridge gap of mistrust

Stating that violence should have never happened in Manipur, Union Minister of State for Education Rajkumar Ranjan Singh on Saturday said an interfaith committee has been formed to bridge the "gap of mistrust". Singh, whose house in Kongba Nandeibam in Manipur's Imphal East district had been set on fire in mid-June during a clash, told PTI, "I always pray to god that let the darkness get over. An interfaith community has been constituted to bridge the gap of mistrust. The darkness should not recur again." On the viral video showing two women being paraded naked in Manipur in early May, the Inner Manipur Lok Sabha MP said, "I was very shocked and sad to see the video. I strongly condemn the perpetrators who committed such an act. Manipur is a land of peace, a state where different ethnic communities have been living together peacefully for centuries." Voicing confidence that the current situation will end soon, Singh said, "all the ethnic communities residing in the state should ...

MoS & Manipur MP says interfaith committee formed to bridge gap of mistrust
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 10:00 PM IST

Oppn-govt slugfest over Manipur intensifies as BJP rakes up Malda incident

The political war of words over Manipur intensified on Saturday with the BJP raising the incidents of atrocities against women in West Bengal and Rajasthan and questioning the "silence" of the opposition, which termed it as a diversionary tactic to avoid debate on the situation in the north-eastern state. While the opposition has been demanding a statement from Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Manipur inside Parliament followed by an unhindered debate in both houses, the government has accused the opposition of running away from such a debate by putting conditions and alleged that they lack seriousness on the issue. The BJP fielded Union minister Anurag Thakur who alleged that there is a long list of heinous crimes against women in states ruled by opposition parties such as Rajasthan, West Bengal and Bihar, but they were playing politics over the Manipur incident. Addressing a press conference at the BJP headquarters here, Thakur slammed former Congress presidents Sonia Gandhi and ..

Oppn-govt slugfest over Manipur intensifies as BJP rakes up Malda incident
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 8:22 PM IST

Will present our view on Manipur incident in Parliament, says Rijiju

The Centre will present facts on the Manipur incident in the Parliament, Union Minister for Earth Sciences Kiren Rijiju said here on Saturday and declined to speak on the viral video that showed two women being paraded in the north eastern state. Refusing to be drawn into any controversy over the May 4 incident that took place in Kangpokpi district, he indicated that it would be inappropriate to discuss the issue outside the Parliament. "Whatever matters are to be discussed in the Parliament we will present our point of view. But right now, I can't say anything outside on the matter," Rijiju told reporters here when his comments on the issue were sought. "I have come here (today) for the Rozgar Mela. I will not make any (other) comments," the minister further said. Manipur police has arrested a fifth person, aged around 19, in connection with the May 4 incident, officials said on Saturday. The two women are alleged to have been sexually assaulted before being set free. A 26-second

Will present our view on Manipur incident in Parliament, says Rijiju
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 7:46 PM IST

PM has 'hurt' self respect of Rajasthan: CM on Modi's statement on Manipur

Hitting back at Prime Minister Narendra Modi for mentioning Rajasthan in his statement on the Manipur incident, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Saturday said he has "hurt the self respect" of Rajasthan. While condemning the incident of Manipur where two women were paraded naked and molested, Modi on Thursday made a reference to states like Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh in context of law and order. "The prime minister has hurt the self respect of Rajasthan," Gehlot told a press conference here. He said Modi finished his speech within a few seconds on the Manipur issue, on which he should have held meetings to review the situation and how it can be controlled. He also took a dig at Modi's remark that the Manipur incident has put 140 crore Indians to shame. "One hundred and forty crore people of the country are not feeling ashamed but they are saddened by the deeds and negligence of the Modi government," Gehlot said. He said Modi did not utter a word on this issue for 77 days but after

PM has 'hurt' self respect of Rajasthan: CM on Modi's statement on Manipur
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 7:33 PM IST

Oppn MPs to hold protest in Parliament complex on Monday over Manipur issue

Amid the stalemate in Parliament over holding a debate on Manipur violence, MPs of various opposition parties have planned a protest on Monday near Mahatma Gandhi's statue in the Parliament complex to press for the prime minister's statement on the issue in both houses. Sources said leaders of various opposition parties who have now formed the INDIA alliance will meet in the chamber of Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge and will discuss their further strategy in Parliament. After the meeting at 10 AM on Monday, July 24, the leaders will hold a protest near the Gandhi statue before entering both houses. The government has agreed to hold a short-duration discussion on the Manipur issue with the Home Minister replying to it, but the opposition is adamant on its demand for the prime minister's statement first, especially after a video of two women being paraded naked and assaulted in a Manipur village appeared on social media. Also, the opposition wants a debate ...

Oppn MPs to hold protest in Parliament complex on Monday over Manipur issue
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 4:37 PM IST

Manipur Police makes fifth arrest in connection with parading of two women

Manipur Police has arrested a fifth person in connection with the May 4 parading of two tribal women in Kangpokpi district of the state, officials said on Saturday. The two women are alleged to have been sexually assaulted before being set free by a mob. A 26-second video of the incident surfaced on Wednesday. A man who was part of the mob that paraded the women at B. Phainom village and was seen dragging one of them was among four people arrested on Thursday as the incident drew widespread condemnation.

Manipur Police makes fifth arrest in connection with parading of two women
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 3:55 PM IST

Meghalaya women's commission demands action in Manipur video incident

The Meghalaya State Commission for Women on Saturday urged the Centre and the Manipur government to take immediate action against those involved in the incident of two women being paraded naked in the ethnic strife-torn state. The commission also appealed to authorities concerned in Manipur to ensure that all victims of the ethnic clash there are given the necessary help and rehabilitation. We urge the Centre and the Manipur government to take immediate action against those involved in the horrific act of human depravity that threatens the dignity and safety of every woman and child of the nation, the commission said in a statement. The women's commission in Meghalaya also said any attack on a woman's modesty is not acceptable in a democracy. We are saddened to see this gross violation of human rights, especially of minorities and the vulnerable, it said. The incident sparked nationwide outrage, and the Manipur Police have arrested the fifth accused in connection with the video th

Meghalaya women's commission demands action in Manipur video incident
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 2:51 PM IST

Jharkhand CM urges President Murmu to take steps on Manipur situation

Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Saturday wrote to President Droupadi Murmu, expressing his anguish over the "unspeakable torture" of women in violence-hit Manipur and urged her to take steps to ensure peace in the northeastern state. The country cannot let tribals in Manipur be treated in a "barbaric way", he said in the letter days after a video of women being paraded naked in the northeastern state surfaced. "Silence in the face of cruelty is a terrible crime and so I am compelled today to write to you with a heavy heart and profound anguish over the ongoing spate of violence in the state of Manipur...I am deeply distressed and concerned about the spiralling situation in Manipur... unspeakable torture and sexual exploitation of women...." Manipur is "burning for two months, heart-wrenching videos are surfacing" and there is an "unparalleled breakdown of democratic governance" in the northeastern state, Soren said in the letter. He urged the President to ensure justice fo

Jharkhand CM urges President Murmu to take steps on Manipur situation
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 2:03 PM IST

Manipur police arrest fifth accused in women disrobing case

Police have arrested the fifth accused in connection with the video that surfaced on July 19 showing two women being paraded naked by a mob in strife-torn Manipur, police said. The accused has been identified as a 19-year-old, police said. The four who were earlier nabbed for disrobing and parading two women in Manipur on May 4 were remanded to 11-day police custody on Friday, police said. The arrests were made on Thursday, a day after the 26-second video surfaced on July 19. The house of the key accused in the case was torched on Thursday, hours after he was arrested by police. According to police, he was seen prominently directing the mob at B. Phainom village of Kangpokpi district in the video. One of the women seen in the video is the wife of an ex-army man who had served in the Indian Army as a Subedar of the Assam Regiment and even fought in the Kargil War. It may be recalled, that the complaint in connection with the viral video was lodged around a month ago June 21 at

Manipur police arrest fifth accused in women disrobing case
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 1:12 PM IST

Manipur Naga groups demand inmediate justice for women paraded naked

Several Naga civil society organisations in Manipur, including the powerful United Naga Council, All Naga Students' Association Manipur (ANSAM) and Naga People's Front, have strongly condemned the inhuman act committed against the two women by a mob on May 4. The UNC asked the Manipur government to take up the case in a fast-track court to deliver justice instantly. The government must initiate necessary steps for immediate booking of all the people involved in such dehumanizing crime, the UNC said in a statement. Referring to the viral video clip, the UNC said the incident was extremely deplorable. The inhuman act meted out to the women who were stripped naked, groped and paraded in a broad daylight on the highway towards a paddy field is highly deplorable, the UNC said. The UNC said the beastly act of sexually assaulting right on the nose of the law enforcing agency and unleashing a reign of terror has shattered the basic principles of democracy. The prestige and dignity of our

Manipur Naga groups demand inmediate justice for women paraded naked
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 12:41 PM IST

Instruments of war: Bandit Queen to Manipur

A gendered perspective on conflict - local or international - is essential because women are often targeted as part of conflict strategy

Instruments of war: Bandit Queen to Manipur
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 11:27 AM IST

Only way forward is to sack Manipur CM, impose President's rule: Sibal

Rajya Sabha MP Kapil Sibal on Saturday said the only way forward in Manipur is to sack Chief Minister N Biren Singh and impose President's rule in the state. More than 160 people have lost their lives, and several have been injured since ethnic violence broke out in the state on May 3 when a 'Tribal Solidarity March' was organised in the hill districts to protest against the Meitei community's demand for Scheduled Tribe (ST) status. In a tweet, Sibal said, "The only way forward: Sack Biren Singh; Impose Art. 356; Apologise to the women of our country." "Nothing has changed since Nirbhaya: Unnao, Hatharas, Kathua, Bilkis (convicts release). Beti bachao PM ji!" Sibal said. According to Article 356, President's rule can be imposed in a state if a situation has arisen in which the government of the state cannot be carried on in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. Tension further mounted in Manipur on Wednesday after a May 4 video surfaced online showing two women from

Only way forward is to sack Manipur CM, impose President's rule: Sibal
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 11:10 AM IST

Confounded by Manipur

If the Congress made errors, the BJP should've given Manipur real change. Biren Singh's statements in the weeks leading up to the flare-up show the BJP persisted with the same policy of divisiveness

Confounded by Manipur
Updated On : 22 Jul 2023 | 9:30 AM IST

Oppn may send team to Manipur even as logjam in Parliament continues

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said the government was ready to discuss violence in the state

Oppn may send team to Manipur even as logjam in Parliament continues
Updated On : 21 Jul 2023 | 10:59 PM IST

LIVE: LS adjourned for day amid opposition uproar over Manipur issue

Catch all the latest LIVE updates from across the globe here

LIVE: LS adjourned for day amid opposition uproar over Manipur issue
Updated On : 21 Jul 2023 | 8:42 PM IST

Manipur incident unforgivable, says Mizoram State Commission for Women

The Mizoram State Commission for Women (MSCW) on Friday termed the Manipur incident as unforgivable. It wrote to the National Commission for Women and its Manipur counterpart urging them to take immediate action against the perpetrators of the gruesome crime, MSCW chairperson Lallawmchhungi said. "The commission is deeply concerned about the video in which two disrobed women are being forced to walk with hundreds of men behind them in Manipur. The act is unforgivable," she told reporters in Aizawl. "We appeal to people to immediately stop any form of violence against women," she said. The commission requested the menfolk of the Northeastern state not to use muscle power on women. Tension mounted in the hills of Manipur after a May 4 video surfaced on Wednesday showing two women from one of the warring communities being paraded naked and constantly groped and molested by a mob. Manipur police said that four prime accused have been arrested till now in connection with the viral vid

Manipur incident unforgivable, says Mizoram State Commission for Women
Updated On : 21 Jul 2023 | 5:59 PM IST

Rajya Sabha proceedings washed out over Manipur uproar, to meet on Monday

Rajya Sabha proceedings were on Friday washed out for the second day in a row amid uproar by the opposition over the Manipur situation and other issues. The house, which was adjourned in the morning session over the Manipur issue and the Opposition raising objections to the Chair expunging certain words from the record, witnessed uproarious scenes when it reassembled post-lunch. Soon after reassembling at 2:30 pm, Chairman Jagdeep Dhankhar informed the members about the report of the business advisory committee (BAC) after its meeting held on Thursday and said it should be taken into account. This led to uproar in the house with several opposition members raising objections over the listing of the National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Bill along with the Forest Conservation Bill, saying they had already expressed their views against the proposed legislations during the BAC meeting. Amid the uproar and with most opposition members on their feet, the Chairman adjourned the

Rajya Sabha proceedings washed out over Manipur uproar, to meet on Monday
Updated On : 21 Jul 2023 | 5:41 PM IST

Why central team not sent to Manipur, says Mamata at Kolkata rally

Continuing her tirade against the Centre over the Manipur crisis, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said the BJP's 'Beti Bachao' scheme has now turned into 'Beti Jalao' (Burn our daughters). The TMC boss wondered why the Centre never bothered to send central teams to Manipur, where ethnic strife has claimed over 160 lives so far. We want to express our solidarity with Manipur. The BJP had sent so many central teams to Bengal (after the panchayat polls), why no central team was sent to the northeastern state? she questioned. Addressing the party's annual Martyrs' Day rally here, Banerjee expressed her solidarity with the newly formed opposition alliance I.N.D.I.A and asserted that their mission is to remove the saffron camp from power. She warned that the return of the BJP government would signal the demise of democracy. The TMC boss gave a clarion call to oust the BJP and refuted claims of personal ambitions by saying, We have no other demand, neither we want an

Why central team not sent to Manipur, says Mamata at Kolkata rally
Updated On : 21 Jul 2023 | 4:01 PM IST