Foxconn, the biggest contract manufacturer for Apple, is setting up its first iPhone manufacturing unit in India in Ahmedabad, as the world’s most valuable company looks to increase presence and replicate its China success in the country.
The Taiwanese maker is adopting a model of setting up smartphone assembly lines in multiple cities across India, with a second iPhone facility coming up in Gurgaon, as Apple steps up efforts to grab a larger pie of the world’s fastest growing smartphone market, people familiar with the development said.
A Gujarat government official, who did not wish to be named, confirmed Foxconn’s plan to set up an iPhone assembly unit in Ahmedabad. An announcement is likely to be made during the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit 2017 to be held on January 10 at Gandhinagar.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.