Why would anyone come up with a news start-up when news and journalism are under pressure globally? That, among other things, is what Justin Smith, co-founder of Semafor, answered in conversation with Vanita Kohli-Khandekar in Mumbai. Semafor, derived from semaphore, means a carrier of signal. And, it means that in 35 different languages. It plans to be a premium global news organisation that Smith and The New York Times ex-media columnist Ben Smith set up earlier this year. Edited excerpts:
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Tue, August 23 2022. 00:39 IST