- Job listings improve; agro industries, telecom at pre-Covid levels: Report
- Nirav Modi's lawyers rely on Assange extradition block for hearings in UK
- External affairs minister Jaishankar wraps up official visit to Sri Lanka
- Vistara to start non-stop flight services between New Delhi, Frankfurt
- SC asks govt whether protesting farmers are protected against Covid-19
- Schools reopen in Punjab for classes 5 to 12 after months-long gap
- Don't fall for social media rumours, no bird flu case yet: Noida DM
- PM should talk directly to farmers; govt has lost trust: Harsimrat
- Punjab CM launches scheme for free sanitary pads to high school girls
- Top headlines: GDP set for worst drop, US rejects India's digital tax
LIVE: Will block Delhi highways if farm laws not scrapped, say unions
Stay tuned for LIVE updates on farmers' protest across India
Farmers and their supporters take part in a tractor rally during a protest to support the nationwide strike, called by farmer unions to press for repeal of the Centres Agri laws, in Amritsar, Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2020. (PTI Photo)
Farmers' protest LIVE updates: As thousands of farmers continue to protest at various borders of the national capital demanding the repeal of three new farm laws, the government on Wednesday proposed to give a "written assurance" that the existing Minimum Support Price (MSP) regime for procurement will continue.
However, the farmers' unions rejected the proposal and said they would intensify their agitation until the government accepts their demand for a complete repeal of the three laws. The government also proposed to make necessary amendments on at least seven issues, including one to allay fears about the weakening of the mandi system.
The government cancelled its crucial sixth round of talks with 40 protesting farmers' unions that was scheduled for today as farm leaders declined to participate, after a meeting with Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday night failed to break the deadlock.
The farmers are protesting against the Farmers' Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, 2020, the Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Act, 2020, and the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act, 2020.
Stay tuned for farmers' protest LIVE updates