You are here: Home » Current Affairs » Coronavirus » News

Covid LIVE: WHO chief urges halt to booster shots for rest of the year

Covid live updates: India says it had given 700 million vaccine doses by Tuesday, with 76% of its population getting first of two shots.

Topics
Coronavirus | Coronavirus Vaccine | World Health Organization

BS Web Team  | New Delhi 

EVENT HIGHLIGHTS

Coronavirus updates: India reported 37,875 new cases of Covid-19 and 369 deaths from the disease in 24 hours, said the health ministry on Wednesday, marking a 21.3 per cent increase in daily infections compared to Tuesday.

The new cases took the total to 33.1 million and fatalities are at 441,411. Active cases�patients under treatment for Covid�are fewer than 400,000, said the ministry.

Kerala ended night curfews and restrictions on Sundays as a measure on how quickly the is spreading had improved, said its chief minister on Tuesday.

India on Tuesday crossed the 700-million mark for total doses administered in the country. More than 76 per cent of the doses given so far were first shots, while the remaining 24 per cent were second doses.

World updates: Three-quarters of US adults have received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine. The country hit the 70 per cent threshold in early August, four weeks beyond President Joe Biden�s target, Bloomberg reported.

Philippine authorities have deferred easing restrictions on public movement in the capital region, keeping the current curbs potentially through September 15, said a presidential spokesperson.

Myanmar�s junta said it wants to receive 10 million doses each in September and October and 4 million in November. The country targeted vaccinating half its population by year-end, said Bloomberg.


CATCH ALL THE LIVE UPDATES

Auto Refresh