- New integrated terminal building at Pune airport to be ready by 2022: AAI
- Life imprisonment to one for kidnapping, rape of teenager in Uttar Pradesh
- Ahead of festive season, Tami Nadu allows shops to remain open till 10 pm
- Sensitise students against bursting firecrackers, Delhi govt to schools
- Over 3k arrested for flouting Covid norms, not having masks: Kolkata Police
- Lockdowns a crude tool for nations to fight Covid-19 but they are justified
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh likely to visit Sikkim on Dussehra
- Delhi govt starts 'Red light on, gaadi off' campaign to curb air pollution
- HC allows drummers inside Durga Puja marquees in Bengal in modified order
- SC to peruse if educational institutions, varsities fall under consumer law
Anna Hazare launches hunger strike over Lokpal, Lokayukta implementation
Earlier, Anna Hazare addressed several letters to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to implement the Lokpal authority and said his communications were not acknowledged
Veteran activist Kisan Baburao Hazare alias Anna Hazare on Wednesday launched a fresh hunger strike at his Ralegan-Siddhi village seeking Lokpal and Lokayuktas as promised by the government.
An aide said that carrying the tricolour, Hazare, 81, went around in a procession in the village with a large number of supporters and hoisted the national flag before starting the indefinite fast.
He also paid homage to Mahatma Gandhi on the occasion of Martyrs' Day before launching the agitation.
Three days ago, Hazare had served an ultimatum to the Maharashtra government demanding the implementation of the Lokayukta in the state failing which he would launch his hunger strike.
Earlier, he addressed several letters to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to implement the Lokpal authority and said his communications were not acknowledged.
Meanwhile, the Maharashtra government has initiated the process to bring the office of Chief Minister under the jurisdiction of the Lokayukta but Hazare said he will be on protest till it becomes a reality.
Besides these main demands, Hazare has also taken up the farmers causes including implementation of the M.S. Swaminathan Commission Report and related issues.