You are here: Home » Economy & Policy » News
Business Standard

8 killed, 33 injured in Pune bakery blast

Press Trust of India  |  Pune 

At least eight people were killed and 33 injured in a suspected bomb blast this evening in a popular bakery in Koregaon Park, which also houses a Jewish prayer house and the Osho Ashram. The blast took place at German Bakery, an old business establishment, around 6.30 pm.

“There was a bomb blast. There have been eight deaths and 33 people were injured,” said Pune Joint Commissioner of Police Rajendra Sonwane. “It is a suspected bomb blast. So far, it is not confirmed. We are verifying this,” he said, adding, “We have not arrived at any conclusion at this stage, but prima facie it appears that it is a bomb blast.”

A team of anti-terrorism squad and bomb disposal squad visited the spot to ascertain the nature of the blast.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said the cause of the blast was yet to be established. He said he had talked to the police commissioner, who told him that unless they examined the evidence on the scene of the blast, they wouldn’t be able to come to any conclusion.

Chavan made the remarks in reply to a question if the blast was a terror attack. The joint commissioner said those injured in the blast were shifted to Sassoon Hospital, Udhrani Hospital and Jahangir Hospital.

Meanwhile, according to a channel’s website, Union Home Secretary GK Pillai confirmed that the blast was a terror attack. According to information, the blast took place when an unidentified bag was opened. The National Security Guard will join the investigations.

First Published: Sat, February 13 2010. 22:31 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU