Sunday, February 22, 2026 | 07:39 PM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Chhattisgarh says no to Chinese Diwali items, biz worth Rs 100 cr to be hit

CM Raman Singh takes charge of campaign, calls for use of clay lamps instead of electronic lights

premium

R Krishna Das Raipur
Even as reports suggest a sharp dip in the sale of Chinese items during the coming Diwali, Chhattisgarh might take aggressive steps to discourage the business in the state.

Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh has himself taken over the command of the campaign against Chinese crackers and lights. “I would like to appeal the people of the state not to use Chinese crackers and lights this Diwali,” Singh said.

He suggested that instead of electronic lights marketed by the Chinese companies, people should use clay lamps which would be environment-friendly too.

The appeal of the state Chief Minister was likely to propel the authorities to take up an aggressive campaign against the Chinese Diwali items.

Last year, Chhattisgarh government had banned the sale of imported items during the festival of lights. The initiative came after Chinese lights resulted in eye infection during Navaratri celebrations at a few places.

Following the instruction of Chief Minister Raman Singh, the state government issued a circular to all the District Collectors asking for strict action against Chinese items. The district administration officials raided electrical shops and seized Chinese lights. 

The organising committees of Durga Utsav were asked to remove the Chinese lights. The electrical shop owners have been asked to submit an affidavit with the undertaking that they would not sell Chinese lights causing health problems.

In Chhattisgarh, Chinese lights and crackers have a business size of Rs 100-110 crore.

According to traders, the business of Chinese items was likely to see a sharp decline in the state as many dealers had not even placed an order.