- No one critical of the government seems to be innocent any longer
- Coronavirus LIVE: India cases at 10,915,805; global tally nears 109.4 mn
- Latest news LIVE updates: Odisha bandh, colleges to reopen in UP and more
- IBC set to resume; relief for key worst-affected sectors on the cards
- Factory reset: Bumps galore, but auto hubs breathe easy on sales spike
- Reimagining the DFI: The role has to be thought through creatively
- A drive for risk-taking: Meet Marc Llistosella, new CEO & MD of Tata Motors
- From discounts to gift packs, retailers win hearts of shoppers on V-Day
- Maruti Suzuki moves up the gears, plans to become an aspirational brand
Jharkhand election result highlights: BJP loses to JMM-Congress, CM resigns
JMM-led alliance, which includes Congress and RJD, on Monday won an absolute majority in the Jharkhand elections by winning 47 seats in 81-member assembly
The JMM-led three-party alliance stormed to power in Jharkhand on Monday, ousting the BJP in yet another state.
Contesting the state assembly elections alone for the first time sans long-standing ally the AJSU Party, the ruling BJP bagged 25 seats, five less than the JMM which led the table, clinching 30 in the 81-member House.
Das tendered his resignation and accepted defeat.
"I met Governor Droupadi Murmu and submitted my resignation. The governor asked me to be caretaker CM till the new government is formed," he told reporters outside Raj Bhavan, with defeat staring him in the face in his pocket borough of Jamshedpur (East) seat.
The BJP, which had posted a spectacular victory in the Lok Sabha election in the middle of the year, was yet to score a convincing triumph in an assembly election since.