CY20 proved to be among the best years for gold investors with returns of 24.1 per cent, the highest since 2011. As global economies passed through one of their worst phases because of Covid, investors sought refuge in safe-haven assets, such as gold. Though in March gold corrected sharply following sell-off across assets classes, it rebounded fast.
The year was challenging for both jewellers and consumers in India. Gold imports at $17.4 billion until November were the lowest since 2007, as the lockdown, job losses, and liquidity crunch hit demand.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.