You are here: Home » Markets » News
Business Standard

Life insurers log new business premium growth of 84% in April, led by LIC

Life insurance companies logged 84 per cent growth in their cumulative new business premium at Rs 17,940 crore in April 2022, primarily helped by LIC, Irdai data showed.

Topics
LIC  | Life insurers

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Photo: Bloomberg
Photo: Bloomberg

Life insurance companies logged 84 per cent growth in their cumulative new business premium at Rs 17,940 crore in April 2022, primarily helped by LIC, Irdai data showed.

All 24 had collected Rs 9,739 crore as new business premium during the same month a year ago.

The largest insurer, state-owned LIC's first year premium or new business premium more than doubled (at 141 per cent rise) to Rs 11,716 crore as against Rs 4,856.76 crore in April 2021, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) said.

commands the largest market share of 65.31 per cent, while the rest of the 23 private players have the remaining 34.69 per cent.

The rest of the private sector players witnessed over 27 per cent jump in their combined new business premium at Rs 6,223 crore. Their collective first year premium was Rs 4,882 crore in April 2021.

In terms of percentage growth, was followed by Star Union Dai-ichi Life (122 per cent) and Tata AIA Life (107 per cent growth).

There was a 32 per cent jump in terms of number of policies/schemes at 13,21,098 in April this year by all the 24 players.

Of this, witnessed 31.92 per cent increase in policy sales at 9,13,141, while the private players saw 33.87 per cent rise at 3,04,748.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Tue, May 10 2022. 18:07 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.