You are here: Home » News-ANI » National
Business Standard

First surgical strike was carried out in Sept 2016, confirms Lt Gen Ranbir Singh

ANI  |  General News 

Commanding-in-Chief of the Indian Army's Northern Command, Singh on Monday confirmed that the first surgical strike was carried out by in September 2016.

Citing an RTI reply by of Operations (DGMO), Indian Army, Singh said that the first surgical strike by armed forces took place in September 2016, to avenge the Uri garrison attack, in which 19 soldiers were killed.

"A few days ago, DGMO said in a reply to an RTI that the first surgical strike happened in September 2016. I don't want to go into what political parties say, they will be given an answer by the government. What I have told you is a statement of fact," Singh said at a press conference here.

Singh was addressing a press conference here in which he was asked about Congress' claims of conducting six surgical strikes during the UPA regime.

had earlier told reporters at the AICC briefing that six surgical strikes were conducted during government.

Shukla had stated that two surgical strikes were carried out when was the Prime Minister--one on January 21, 2000, in Nadala Enclave across the and second on September 18, 2003, in Baroh Sector in Poonch.

Meanwhile at the press conference today, Singh said that airstrikes by the on in Balakot was a major achievement.

He said that Indian aircraft went deep into enemy territory and launched preemptive strikes across terror launchpads in

"Pakistanis carried out air operations the following day, however they were given a befitting reply," Singh said.

Forty (CRPF) personnel were killed in the deadly terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama on February 14 when a Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into the CPRF convoy.

.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, May 20 2019. 13:54 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU