You are here: Home » News-ANI » Sports
Business Standard

Miami mayor pulls back support from Becks' 200-mln pound dream football franchise

ANI  |  London 

Mayor of Miami, Carlos Gimenez, has pulled back his support from former England football captain David Beckham's 200 million pounds US football franchise to leave the star midfielder's dreams in tatters.

Gimenez supported Beckham's plans to build a new team and stadium in the city, but he turned against them on Sunday by blasting the former Manchester United star's idea as nowhere near good enough to launch the franchise.

Giminez hit out at the lack of progress, saying that they hadn't really told him where and what their plans were, adding that he informed them that why don't they go and do their due diligence and come back when they are ready, the Daily Star reported.

The Mayor claimed that that hasn't happened yet.

Other potential new clubs in California and Nevada are reportedly supporting Beckham. And Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber has warned him that this lack of progress can't go on forever.

Garner added that if they don't have the right stadium, they are not going to Miami, nor should they go to any market without the right stadium.

Beckham has been frustrated in his efforts to build a 40,000-seater stadium, entertainment and hotel complex as local businesses and politicians slammed his development plans.

Gimenez said that they're actively looking, but they wanted a certain feel to the team. He added that they wanted to be urban, they wanted that march to the match for fans, and so there are few places that can happen, claiming that it's up to them and it's all in their hands.

Earlier this month the former football star insisted that he wouldn't walk away from the soccer franchise in Miami despite offers from other cities.

A spokesman for holding company Miami Beckham United said that things are progressing in Miami, and they are very much in track in their plans. He added that Beckham is positive about the future of the club, and he continues to enjoy incredible support from the people of Miami.

First Published: Mon, January 26 2015. 13:45 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU