You are here: Home » News-IANS » Business-Economy
Business Standard

BAT tanks in Britain, as ITC flourishes back home

IANS  |  New Delhi 

or BAT which is ostensibly the parent of Indian heavy hitter ITC with 29.54 per cent share holding has suffered a massive meltdown in its parent market in recent times. While the stocks of standalone majors have seen a decline, BAT's year-on-year market cap erosion between December 2017 and December 2018 was down sharply from 115 billion pounds to 59 billion GBP, an erosion of 48.7 per cent.

Incidentally, with being a growth market for such transnational companies, ITC's contribution to BAT's market cap is an astounding 15 billion GBP.

Seen very much as an Indian company despite BAT being a substantive shareholding, Domestic Financial Institutions and SUTTI between them hold 30.17 percent which is more than the parent BAT's.

Remarkably, ITC from a pure play has become a diversified conglomerate with a market cap of nearly $50 billion on its own. Fears of tighter regulation have weighed on BAT's shares, equally a new is due to take charge next month which leaves the future trajectory open ended.

A likely ban on menthol cigarettes it sells under the brand have contributed in the share price erosion.

Another key reason in BAT taking a hammering on the bourses has been the acquisition. BAT which owned 42 per cent of acquired the remaining stake of 58 percent for $49 billion effective July 25, 2017, subsequently rating agencies downgraded the company, impacting it on the bourses.

The impending ban on menthol cigarettes could potentially impact BAT significantly as the segment accounts for 50 per cent of its US volumes and 25 per cent of group profits.

This could be a defining moment in BAT's long history as the world number two Safely for ITC, its derisking strategy under Yogi Deveshwar had paid handsome dividends. On Tuesday, ITC share price closed at Rs 294.50 with a dividend of 515 per cent.

--IANS

prs/

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, March 13 2019. 09:02 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU