You are here: Home » News-IANS » Cinema-Showbiz
Business Standard

From lawyers to B-town, #MeToo gets strong support from all quarters (Roundup)

IANS  |  New Delhi 

From two Mumbai-based lawyers volunteering to provide legal aid to victims of and assault, to Bollywood personalities like Swara Bhasker and Malaika Arora coming out in the open to support women who have shared their experiences, the current #MeToo wave in refuses to die down anytime soon.

Lawyers and have volunteered to provide legal aid to victims without charging any fee. Not only this, the (IFTDA) has issued notices to all the directors who have been named by women for or assault.

IFTDA said notices had been sent to the accused filmmakers, including and Vikas Bahl, seeking their response within ten days. If they do not respond, their names would be placed on the 'non-cooperation' list, following which the women could approach the two lawyers who have come forward to provide legal help, he added.

The #MeToo movement began a year ago in Hollywood after and published several stories about decades-long predation of movie mogul

However, it gained momentum in after recently accused veteran of Following her revelation, accusations are being made against some powerful personalities in the media and the entertainment industry, including Sajid Khan, and

In an interview, Malaika said that if "women are coming forward and talking about their stories, it's the biggest thing to happen."

Swara, on the sidelines of the Lotus Make-Up Fashion Week (LMIFW), said that the "#MeToo movement was a long time pending in India and it's good that it has finally come out".

"Kudos goes to all the women who are braving their past trauma and re-living it and claiming their own stories with their own names," she added.

has come forward to support the #MeToo campaign by saying that women who are accusing men of sexual harassment deserve the benefit of doubt. However, he said proper investigation needs to be done as it can destroy the career and life of an individual.

While many came out in support, there are some who emphasized on proper investigation so that no innocent is targeted.

While has urged the producers of his upcoming film "Super 30" to take a "hard stand" amid sexual harassment allegations against the movie's Vikas Bahl, the actor's ex-wife has taken a neutral stance by saying that women shouldn't make false allegations about an individual without any legal evidence.

While supporting all the brave women who have spoken out against their perpetrators, wants just the truth to be stated with no exaggerations as some may try to misuse it.

Bahl's ex wife came out in support of the filmmaker and slammed for saying that the "Queen" used to 'bury his face in her neck' and "hold her really tight".

Dubey took to on Friday and questioned Kangana, who has worked with Bahl in "Queen", on why she continued to have a good friendship with the filmmaker despite his inappropriate actions.

Bahl was accused by a woman, who was a previous employee, of sexually harassing her repeatedly after the first incident in 2015 in

After that, Kangana came out in support of the allegations against Bahl.

Dubey slammed the actress, saying "this is not a #MeToo, but a meme".

--IANS

nv/rb/bg

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sat, October 13 2018. 18:22 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU