You are here: Home » News-IANS » Environment-Wildlife
Business Standard

Two elephants electrocuted in Bengal

IANS  |  Kolkata 

Two elephants died from after coming in contact with a high-voltage cable in West Bengal's West district on Saturday, police said.

The local administration alleged that non-rectification of sagging lines over a vast field in West district's Gurguripal area caused the tragedy.

"The bodies of two full-seized elephants were found lying in the paddy field at Nepura village under station area on Saturday morning. It seems they died from electrocution," Rabindranath Saha, said.

"Some of the high-voltage cables are sagging dangerously low in the area. THese can cause death and damage to people working out in the field as well. We have informed the power department," he said.

The locals said the two elephants were part of a herd of about two dozen elephants roaming around in the area for the last few days.

--IANS

mgr/prs

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sat, January 12 2019. 20:54 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU