I had the privilege of working under six prime ministers during my seven years as economic adviser to the Government of India (GoI). I started off in the then Planning Commission under Morarji Desai (1977-1979). We had a fantastic team of economists in Vijay Kelkar, Nitin Desai, T L Sankar, Lovraj Kumar, Yoginder Alagh, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, who had just joined then, DC Rao, Shankar Acharya and many others. Our guiding guru was the late Sukhamoy Chakravarty. We all worked as a team and took the right economic steps with full support of the prime minister (PM).
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Wed, December 16 2020. 22:39 IST