Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a surprising announcement on November 19 that the government would repeal the three contentious farm laws in the winter session of Parliament. The farm laws have been resolutely and tenaciously opposed by farmers’ organisations for about a year. The government’s stance towards the determined but peaceful opposition has been obstinate, disproportionately heavy handed and often menacingly fierce. The Prime Minister’s announcement to backtrack was therefore, surprising across the political divide on the subject.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Mon, November 29 2021. 23:59 IST