You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Anand Patwardhan's documentary on Babri goes from 'U' to 'A' after 28 years

Press Trust of India  |  Mumbai 

Renowned filmmaker has said his National Award-winning documentary "Naam", based on the demolition, has been age restricted on

The said the video sharing website is "catering to Hindutva goons who want to kill all secular content."

The 1992 documentary explores the campaign waged by the Hindu-nationalist Vishva Hindu Parishad to build a Ram temple at the site of the in Ayodhya, as well as the communal violence that it triggered.

The film had received a 'U' certificate from the and was shown at prime time on Doordarshan after the ordered its telecast in 1996.

said he is baffled how the film has now been termed for "adults" only, 28 years after its release.

In a post, the wrote Sunday, "is at it again, catering to Hindutva goons who want to kill all secular content. Latest is they have put an 'age restriction' on my film 'Naam' which has a 'U' certificate from CBFC."


The filmmaker said the video sharing website has previously done this to "Jai Bhim Comrade", which also had a 'U' certificate, questioning if "is even worse than our CBFC?"

said the website is "Hindutva embedded" and called the move "disgusting".

"Now if you are a child over 14 and under 18 you are allowed to do hazardous labour but you are not allowed to see 'Naam'! The temporary good is that if you are over 18 you can watch it on my (anandverite) youtube channel. That is, till they think up a new ruse to restrict it further," he wrote.

Patwardhan had written to YouTube regarding the move, to which the video-sharing website replied that "Ram Ke Naam" was flagged for review, upon which, they "determined that it may not be suitable for all viewers and it has been placed behind an age restriction."

"After further review, we've determined that while your video does not violate our Community Guidelines, it may not be appropriate for a general audience. We have therefore age-restricted your video," Patwardhan shared YouTube's response below his post.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, February 12 2019. 10:55 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU