Reliable sources in the PCB told PTI today that the Board is planning to reduce the number of players in the new central contracts from 35 to 25.
Last year 35 players got central contracts in different categories but this year discussions have been held on giving fewer players contracts but raising their monthly salaries and other perks in the contracts, a PCB official said.
The official said that the PCB was contemplating increasing monthly retainers and also fees for Test matches.
He said that head coach Mickey Arthur will join chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq and two Board officials, Haroon Rasheed and Mudassar Nazar in finalising the list of players to be given the new contracts.
These people will also recommend to the Board how many players should get contracts and how much raise should be given to them, the official added.
"The increase in the contractual salaries is being contemplated to keep the contracted players away from the mushrooming foreign T20 leagues so that their cricket careers are extended.
He said the new contracts would be from July 1 for a period of 12 months as the existing contracts expire at end of June.
Players, who don't get central contracts, will be able to take part in foreign T20 leagues to increase their earnings but will have to seek NOCs from the same committee that includes Arthur, Inzamam and the two PCB officials.
The PCB recently announced it would allow its contracted players to take part in only two leagues in a year including the PSL.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)