Business Standard

Recharging electric scooter sparks blaze in Norway apartment

Image

AP Copenhagen
Firefighters in Norway are warning against recharging electric scooters indoors after a battery started a fire that tore through an apartment south of Oslo.
Hans-Otto Schjerven, head of the Vestfold Fire Department, says rechargeable lithium batteries can cause "fires that are difficult to extinguish and the batteries emit fire that quickly spreads."

After the blaze Wednesday evening, he says such batteries can be "capricious" and urged people to avoid recharging them indoors.
Schjerven says onFacebookthat although firefighters were quickly at the scene, one apartment was wrecked by the fire and three adjacent dwellings suffered smoke damage, forcing the tenants to spend the night elsewhere.
Nobody was injured in the fire. Details of the scooter and its battery were not released.

Disclaimer: No Business Standard Journalist was involved in creation of this content

Don't miss the most important news and views of the day. Get them on our Telegram channel

First Published: Aug 29 2019 | 2:35 PM IST

Explore News