You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Separatists call for Kashmir shutdown against Bukhari, civilian killings

Press Trust of India  |  Srinagar 

Separatist leaders have called for a complete shutdown in Kashmir tomorrow against the killings of journalist Shujaat Bukhari and civilians, gunned down by security forces in the past few days.

The Joint Resistance Leadership, an amalgamation of separatist groups, said in a statement today that there had been a sudden spike in civilian killings since the eve of Eid. It also demanded an international probe into Bukhari's killing.

"Joint Resistance Leadership has called for a complete strike tomorrow against the continued civilian killings in the valley, which has witnessed a sudden spike since the eve of Eid... three young boys have been brutally gunned down by the Indian forces while the fourth is struggling for life at SKIMS," the statement said.

He said the strike will also be observed against the brutalkilling of Bukhari, who was shot dead along with his two personal guards outside his office on June 14 by unknown gunmen.

"JRL demands an international probe into this gruesome murder," a JRL spokesperson said in the statement.

He said cordon and search operations had returned with a vengeance to the villages as people were being severely beaten and harassed and used as human shields.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, June 19 2018. 12:05 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU