You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Transgender person approaches U'khand HC to claim rights

Press Trust of India  |  Nainital 

A person has approached the to claim her rights after police refused to accept her changed

The high court stepped in to the woman's aid, asking police to state the reason for such behaviour.

According to a complaint filed by the victim, she was in love with a man from Kotdwar and underwent a change surgery to be able to be with him.

After their engagement ceremony, her fiance called him to Kotdwar and allegedly raped her.

When she approached police with a complaint, they refused to file an FIR under section 376of the IPC (rape) and instead filed the complaint under section 377( unnatural offences).

The victim then approached the high court seeking conversion of the FIR under section 377 to one under section 376, claiming that she has all the rights of a woman.

Justice heard the matter on Monday and asked the government to file a reply within four weeks.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, January 09 2019. 16:00 IST