A special court here on Friday rejected the bail application filed by former Maharashtra home minister Anil Deshmukh in an alleged corruption and misuse of official position case being probed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Deshmukh (71) had sought bail in the case as soon as the Bombay High Court granted him bail on October 4 in a money laundering case registered against him by the Enforcement Directorate (ED). Special CBI court judge S H Gwalani rejected his plea after hearing arguments from both sides. The court's detailed order is not available yet. The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader was arrested on November 2 in 2021 and has been in judicial custody. He was admitted to a private hospital last week for coronary angiography. In March 2021, senior IPS officer Param Bir Singh had alleged that Deshmukh, the then home minister, had given a target to police officers to collect Rs 100 crore per month from restaurants and bars in Mumbai. Former assistant police
The Eknath Shinde-led Maharashtra government has reversed the previous Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) dispensation's decision of withdrawing the general consent to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to investigate cases in the state. The Shinde government restored the general consent given to the central probe agency, an official said. CM Shinde cleared the proposal of the home department headed by Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to reverse the decision of MVA government to withdraw the general consent to the CBI to probe cases in the state, the official from the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) told PTI. With the reversal of this decision, the CBI will no longer require permission of the state government to step in, he said. On October 21, 2020, the Uddhav Thackeray-led MVA government had withdrawn the general consent to the CBI under the contention that the central government was misusing central probe agencies to settle political scores.
CBI recently cracked a Bitcoin racket after it received information from several countries that call centres run in Delhi and other states were duping foreign nationals
In wake of a special CBI court in Delhi giving relief to Bihar Deputy CM Tejashwi Yadav, BJP Rajya Sabha MP Sushil Modi claimed that he apologised in the court to prevent cancellation of his bail
A Delhi court on Tuesday refused to cancel the bail granted to Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav on a plea by the CBI in the IRCTC scam, saying it did not find any specific ground to order cancellation of the relief. Special Judge Geetanjali Goel, while declining the CBI's petition, asked the young RJD leader to be careful with words and use them appropriately. In its petition, the CBI had claimed Yadav, at a recent press conference, attempted to subvert the process of law and thwart the entire investigation as well as the consequent trial, and blatantly abused the liberty granted to him. It alleged Yadav issued "direct threat" to CBI officers and their families and "indirect threat" to witnesses. The central probe agency accused Yadav of having attempted to "portray the CBI in bad light and under the influence of political parties" by using innuendoes such as "Jamai" (son-in- law) of a political party. "You are on very responsible post. It is not right to use such words
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has issued summons to the husband of a Trinamool Congress legislator in connection with the West Bengal post-poll violence case
Red corner notice not tantamount to international arrest warrant: Jürgen Stock
The CBI on Monday refuted the allegation levelled by Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia that during his questioning in the Delhi excise scam case, he was threatened to quit the AAP. In a statement, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said that Sisodia was examined strictly on the allegations in the FIR and the evidence collected so far during the course of investigation. "His statement will be verified in due course and further action taken as per requirements of investigation," the agency said. The CBI said some sections of the media have aired a video in which, after leaving the CBI office, Sisodia has stated on camera that during his questioning, he was threatened to leave his political party and similar such insinuations. "The CBI strongly refutes these allegations and reiterates that examination of Sisodia was carried out in a professional and legal manner strictly as per the allegations against him in the FIR. The investigation of the case will continue as per the law
The CBI on Monday started questioning Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia in connection with the alleged scam in Delhi excise policy being probed by it, officials said. Sisodia went to his party office in the morning from where he proceeded to Rajghat. A large number of his supporters gathered outside his residence ahead of his questioning. He arrived at the CBI headquarters around 11.15 am and was taken straight to the first floor of the Anti Corruption Branch, the officials said. The CBI had registered an FIR in a special court here in August against Sisodia and 14 others under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), including 120B (criminal conspiracy) and 477A (falsification of records), and section 7 of the Prevention of Corruption Act, which deals with taking undue advantage to influence a public servant by corrupt or illegal means, or by the exercise of personal influence. Delhi Lieutenant Governor Vinai Kumar Saxena had recommended a CBI probe into alleged .
Ahead of his questioning by the CBI in the excise policy matter, Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Monday claimed that the case against him was "fake" and linked the development with campaigning in poll-bound Gujarat While extending support to his deputy, Delhi Chief Minister and AAP convener Arvind Kejriwal said Sisodia was going to be arrested in a bid to stop him from campaigning in Gujarat. At his Mathura Road residence, Sisodia sought blessings of his mother as he prepared to leave for the CBI office. Several AAP leaders, including party MP Sanjay Singh and MLAs Atishi and Saurabh Bhardwaj, were present at his home. In a series of tweets, Sisodia said, "A completely fake case has been prepared against me. Nothing was found in the raid at my residence, search of my bank lockers and enquiries made at my village. It is a totally fake case." Sisodia is set to appear before the CBI for questioning at 11 AM in connection with alleged irregularities in implementation of
After Delhi's Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said that he has been summoned by the CBI, CM Arvind Kejriwal compared him with freedom fighter Bhagat Singh
The CBI has filed a charge sheet against former Dewan Housing Finance Ltd (DHFL) CMD Kapil Wadhawan and 74 others in connection with a Rs 34,000-crore bank fraud case, officials said on Saturday. In its charge sheet, filed before a Special CBI court here, the agency has also named then director Dheeraj Wadhawan and former CEO Harshil Mehta as accused in the mega-scam case, officials said. The agency had registered the case in June in DHFL bank fraud matter for allegedly defrauding a consortium of 17 banks to the tune of Rs 34,000 crore, making it the biggest banking loan fraud of the country, they said. In the charge sheet, the agency has listed 18 individuals and 57 companies through which funds were diverted, they alleged.
Almost two and a half years after three persons including two Sadhus were lynched by a mob in Palghar district near Mumbai, the Maharashtra Home Department has handed over the probe of the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The case was being investigated by the state Criminal Investigation Department (CID) earlier. Home minister Devendra Fadnavis confirmed the development to the PTI. The incident had taken place at Gadchinchle village during night on April 16, 2020 in the midst of coronavirus pandemic when two Sadhus (monks) were heading towards Surat from Mumbai in a car with a driver to attend a funeral. A mob of villagers stopped them and beat them to death on suspicion that they were child-lifters, even as a few police personnel had reached the spot. The BJP, then in opposition, had accused that there was a conspiracy behind the attack on the religious leaders, and demanded CBI probe. Then home minister Anil Deshmukh had opposed the demand, saying the killing
Maharashtra Government on Tuesday told the Supreme Court that it has no objection on transferring the 2020 Palghar mob lynching case of two Hindu sadhus to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).The Eknath Shinde-led Maharashtra government in an affidavit said that it is ready and willing to hand over the investigation to the CBI and would have no objection to the same.Maharastra State filed the affidavit on the petitions arising out of the unfortunate attack and lynching of two sadhus and seeking the transfer of the investigation into the matter to CBI in order to conduct an independent and impartial investigation.The pleas sought a CBI or a court-monitored Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe in the incident that took place in the Palghar district in April 2020.Earlier, the Maharashtra government had told the apex court that an investigation has been completed in the Palghar lynching case.Maharashtra government had earlier informed Supreme Court that all guilty police officials
The CBI has filed a charge sheet against DMK leader A Raja for allegedly amassing disproportionate assets to the tune of Rs 5.53 crore during his tenure as Union minister, officials said. In its charge sheet filed before a Special CBI court in Chennai, the agency has alleged that a close associate of Raja, C Krishnamurthy, had set up a company Kovai Shelters Promoters in January, 2007 in which a payment of Rs 4.56 crore was received in February that year from a Gurugram-based real estate company as commission for purchase of land in Kanchipuram, they said. It is alleged that the payment was not for the land deal but a quid pro quo for giving the real estate firm the status of an infrastructure company by Raja during his tenure as Union minister, they said. In the charge sheet filed in August this year, the CBI has alleged that the company had not "undertaken any other real estate activity" other than the purported land deal for the real estate firm. The company had later bought ...
Three-quarters of respondents believe a lack of access to labor is threatening the UK's competitiveness as a place to employ people, the Confederation of British Industry said Tuesday.
The CBI has arrested a Hyderabad-based businessman in connection with the alleged Delhi excise policy scam in which Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia is also an accused, officials said on Monday. Abhishek Boinpally, who was allegedly lobbying for certain liquor businessmen based in southern India, was called for questioning on Sunday. The agency found him evading certain key questions and took him into custody late at night, they said. Boinpally is not named as an accused in the Central Bureau of Investigation FIR pertaining to the case but his close associate and partner Arun Ramchandra Pillai is. The two founded Robin Distribution LLP in July this year, according to Registrar of Companies (RoC) database. It is alleged that Pillai had collected bribes from Sameer Mahendru of Indospirit for onward transmission to businessman and AAP leader Vijay Nair, who was arrested by the CBI in the case last month, the officials said. Boinpally was allegedly involved in the "cartelization"
BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad hit out at Nitish Kumar on Sunday for defending his new ally, RJD chief Lalu Prasad, and his family members after the CBI filed a chargesheet against them, saying it is "shameful" and "unfortunate" how the Bihar chief minister has turned a blind eye to the issue of corruption. Addressing a press conference here, the former Union minister said Kumar is "compromising the core of his life's savings" by defending Lalu Prasad and his family members in the corruption case. The Bihar chief minister on Saturday voiced his disapproval of the CBI chargesheet against Lalu Prasad in a case pertaining to the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief's tenure as the railway minister. "Nothing came of that case. Now that I am back in the alliance, a new thing has started. Is this the way? It seems they are acting upon whims and fancies," Kumar, who is now in the "Mahagathbandhan" comprising his JD(U), the RJD and the Congress, had said, indirectly referring to the allegation
The CBI has "examined" former governor Satya Pal Malik in connection with two graft cases registered in Jammu and Kashmir in April based on allegations levelled by him, officials said. They said the CBI team took details of his observations earlier this week, they said. Malik was examined after his five years tenure as Governor ended on October 4, they said. He was appointed as Governor of Bihar in 2017 after which he was sent to Jammu and Kashmir in 2018 where he oversaw the revocation of Article 370 in August 2019. Malik, who had issued statements criticising the Centre during farmers' agitation, was moved to Meghalaya where his five-year tenure ended this month. Malik had claimed that he was offered a Rs 300 crore bribe for clearing two files during his tenure as the governor of Jammu and Kashmir between August 23, 2018 and October 30, 2019. "After going to Kashmir, two files came to me (for clearance), one belonging to Ambani and another to an RSS-affiliated man who was a mini
Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav, whose parents Lalu Prasad and Rabri Devi were named in a fresh CBI charge sheet, on Saturday sought to link the development to the BJP's loss of power in the state where it is now pitted against a formidable multi-party 'Mahagathbandhan'. The RJD heir apparent, who had earlier mockingly asked central investigating agencies to open their offices at his residence, added tongue in cheek that after the CBI, he expected the Enforcement Directorate (ED) to swing into action. "The BJP, having lost power in Bihar, obviously has a problem with us. It also knows that it stands no chance against the Mahagathbandhan. So, in keeping with its strategy of misusing institutions, it has let loose the CBI," Yadav told reporters in reply to queries about the fresh charge sheet against Prasad, the RJD president, and Rabri Devi who is a former chief minister. The CBI has filed the charge sheet against Prasad, Rabri Devi and 14 others in connection with an ...