Friday, August 21, 2026 | 04:13 AM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Page 32 - Gaza Conflict

Hamas' key weapons operative Muhammad Salah killed in Israeli airstrike

The operation by Israeli Air Force came following IDF intelligence. Salah was part of a project to develop strategic weaponry for the Hamas terrorist organisation

Hamas' key weapons operative Muhammad Salah killed in Israeli airstrike
Updated On : 25 Jun 2024 | 7:13 AM IST

Won't agree to deal that ends war in Gaza, says PM Benjamin Netanyahu

The viability of a US-backed proposal to wind down the 8-month-long war in Gaza was cast into doubt on Monday after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would only be willing to agree to a partial cease-fire deal that would not end the war, comments that sparked an uproar from families of hostages held by Hamas. In an interview broadcast late Sunday on Israeli Channel 14, a conservative, pro-Netanyahu station, the Israeli leader said he was prepared to make a partial deal -- this is no secret that will return to us some of the people, referring to the roughly 120 hostages still held in the Gaza Strip. But we are committed to continuing the war after a pause, in order to complete the goal of eliminating Hamas. I'm not willing to give up on that. Netanyahu's comments did not deviate dramatically from what he has said previously about his terms for a deal. But they come at a sensitive time as Israel and Hamas appear to be moving further apart over the latest cease-fire ...

Won't agree to deal that ends war in Gaza, says PM Benjamin Netanyahu
Updated On : 24 Jun 2024 | 2:28 PM IST

Israel winding down Gaza operations, Lebanon war could be next: Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that the current phase of fighting against Hamas in Gaza is winding down, setting the stage for Israel to send more troops to its northern border to confront the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah. The comments threatened to further heighten the tensions between Israel and Hezbollah at a time when they appear to be moving closer to war. Netanyahu also signaled that there is no end in sight for the grinding war in Gaza. The Israeli leader said in a lengthy TV interview that while the army is close to completing its current ground offensive in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, that would not mean the war against Hamas is over. But he said fewer troops would be needed in Gaza, freeing up forces to battle Hezbollah. We will have the possibility of transferring some of our forces north, and we will do that, he told Israel's Channel 14, a pro-Netanyahu TV channel, in an interview that was frequently interrupted by applause from the studi

Israel winding down Gaza operations, Lebanon war could be next: Netanyahu
Updated On : 24 Jun 2024 | 1:34 PM IST

Visitors to Israel have new stop on their tours: Hamas' destruction site

A new kind of tourism has emerged in Israel in the months since Hamas' Oct. 7 attack. For celebrities, politicians, influencers and others, no trip is complete without a somber visit to the devastated south that absorbed the brunt of the assault near the border with Gaza. Jerry Seinfeld, Elon Musk, Michael Douglas, former presidential candidate Nikki Haley, and Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are a few who have visited, at times posing for photos in front of burned-out homes. Many Israelis, including soldiers and security officials, are also visiting on organized trips. It's our personal story, but it's also the story of all of the state of Israel, said Irit Lahav, spokeswoman for Kibbutz Nir Oz, who gives many of the tours. A quarter of the approximately 400 Nir Oz residents fell victim to the attack. Hamas militants killed more than 20 and kidnapped over 80. In the dining hall, a wall of post office boxes is plastered with stickers red for killed, black for kidnapped, blue for ...

Visitors to Israel have new stop on their tours: Hamas' destruction site
Updated On : 24 Jun 2024 | 11:13 AM IST

Houthi forces strike vessel in Red sea using drone, officials say

The drone attack happened around dawn off the coast of the rebel-held port city of Hodeida, the British military's United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations centre said

Houthi forces strike vessel in Red sea using drone, officials say
Updated On : 24 Jun 2024 | 9:39 AM IST

Thousands protest, demand new elections, return of hostages in Israel

Some protesters held signs demanding early elections, and others held banners calling for an end to the fighting in Gaza

Thousands protest, demand new elections, return of hostages in Israel
Updated On : 23 Jun 2024 | 7:02 AM IST

At least 39 people killed in Israeli strikes across northern Gaza: Reports

At least 39 people were killed by Israeli air strikes across northern Gaza on Saturday, according to Palestinian and hospital officials. Fadel Naem, director of the al-Ahli Hospital in Gaza City, told The Associated Press that more than three dozen bodies arrived at the hospital. The Palestinian Civil Defense, an emergency group active in Gaza, said it pulled approximately the same number of bodies from a building hit by an Israeli strike in an eastern neighbourhood of Gaza City. The group said its emergency workers were also digging for survivors at the site of another strike in Shati refugee camp, west of Gaza City. Israel said Saturday that its fighter jets struck two Hamas military sites in the Gaza City area but did not elaborate further. The deaths come a day after at least 25 people were killed in strikes on tent camps and 50 wounded near the southern city of Rafah. Israel said Saturday that it was continuing to operate in central and southern Gaza and has pushed ahead with

At least 39 people killed in Israeli strikes across northern Gaza: Reports
Updated On : 22 Jun 2024 | 11:35 PM IST

Israel's famed Iron Dome system could fail, warn US officials. Here's why

The Iron Dome is the bottom rung of Israel's three-tier missile defence system, according to the country's Missile Defense Organization

Israel's famed Iron Dome system could fail, warn US officials. Here's why
Updated On : 21 Jun 2024 | 3:56 PM IST

What is Hezbollah, the group threatening Israel with war with 'no rules'?

Hezbollah claims it has carried out over 2,100 military operations against Israel since October 8 in what it describes as a show of support for Palestinians and Hamas in the ongoing Gaza war

Image
Updated On : 20 Jun 2024 | 1:14 PM IST

Amid war with Israel, bank heists have become the latest headache for Gaza

These thefts, amounting to millions of dollars, accounted for about one-third of the cash stored in now inaccessible vaults in Gaza

Amid war with Israel, bank heists have become the latest headache for Gaza
Updated On : 20 Jun 2024 | 12:41 PM IST

Israeli intel report gave warning of Oct 7 Hamas attack. What did it say?

The Gaza Division's document estimated that the target number of hostages Hamas might take during a possible attack was 200-250, almost the same as the 251 hostages actually taken on October 7

Image
Updated On : 18 Jun 2024 | 5:32 PM IST

Israeli Army announces 'tactical pause' to increase flow of aid into Gaza

The Israeli military on Sunday announced a tactical pause in its offensive in the southern Gaza Strip to allow the deliveries of increased quantities of humanitarian aid. The army said the pause would begin in the Rafah area at 8 a.m. (0500 GMT, 1 a.m. eastern) and remain in effect until 7 p.m. (1600 GMT, noon eastern). It said the pauses would take place every day until further notice. The pause is aimed at allowing aid trucks to reach the nearby Israel-controlled Kerem Shalom crossing, the main entry point for incoming aid, and travel safely to the Salah a-Din highway, a main north-south road, to deliver supplies to other parts of Gaza, the military said. It said the pause was being coordinated with the U.N. and international aid agencies. The crossing has suffered from a bottleneck since Israeli ground troops moved into Rafah in early May. Israel's eight-month military offensive against the Hamas militant group has plunged Gaza into a humanitarian crisis, with the U.N. reporting

Israeli Army announces 'tactical pause' to increase flow of aid into Gaza
Updated On : 16 Jun 2024 | 11:10 PM IST

Israel to halt daytime fighting along route in southern Gaza for aid flow

Israel's military announced on Sunday that it would pause fighting during daytime hours along a route in southern Gaza to free up a backlog of humanitarian aid deliveries for desperate Palestinians enduring a humanitarian crisis sparked by the war, now in its ninth month. The tactical pause," which applies to about 12 kilometres of road in the Rafah area, falls far short of a complete cease-fire in the beleaguered territory that has been sought by the international community, including Israel's top ally, the United States. The limited halt in fighting could help address some of the overwhelming needs of Palestinians that have surged in recent weeks with Israel's incursion into Rafah. The army said the pause would begin at 8 am (0500 GMT) and last until 7 pm (1600 GMT). It said the pauses would be daily until further notice. The pause is aimed at allowing aid trucks to reach the nearby Israel-controlled Kerem Shalom crossing, the main entry point for aid, and travel safely to the Sa

Israel to halt daytime fighting along route in southern Gaza for aid flow
Updated On : 16 Jun 2024 | 9:22 PM IST

8 Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza, only one identified by army till now

Israel's military said on Saturday that eight soldiers were killed in southern Gaza in the deadliest attack in months. Only one of the dead troops was identified by the army. No further information was immediately available. The deaths will likely fuel calls for a cease-fire and heighten Israeli public anger over ultra-Orthodox exemptions from the military.

8 Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza, only one identified by army till now
Updated On : 16 Jun 2024 | 2:54 AM IST

Israel accused of killing own citizens in 'Hannibal Directive'. What is it?

Israeli forces allegedly applied the so-called 'Hannibal Directive' and killed at least 14 Israeli civilians during the October 7 Hamas attack, claims a recent UN-backed inquiry

Israel accused of killing own citizens in 'Hannibal Directive'. What is it?
Updated On : 15 Jun 2024 | 3:17 PM IST

US tech giant Intel halts expansion plan for $25 billion Israel chip plant

Intel did not give any specific reason for the decision and made no link to the ongoing war in Gaza, in which over 37,000 Palestinians have been killed

US tech giant Intel halts expansion plan for $25 billion Israel chip plant
Updated On : 13 Jun 2024 | 10:08 AM IST

Report cites crimes by Israeli Army, Palestinian militants starting Oct 7

UN-backed human rights experts say in a report issued Wednesday that Israeli forces and Palestinian militants engaged in sexual and gender-based violence during the first months of the Israel-Hamas war. The independent experts, in a detailed chronicling of events that have mostly been reported in the media, said Israeli forces and Palestinian militants committed war crimes, while Israel was also said to have committed crimes against humanity. Israel, which has refused to cooperate with the body and accused it of bias, rejected the allegations. The report, which covered the time between the Oct 7 rampage and the end of last year, laid out a wide array of alleged rights violations and crimes by both sides during the conflict. It said Israeli forces had committed acts including forced starvation, murder or willful killing, collective punishment and intentional attacks on civilians, and that the military wings of Hamas and other armed Palestinian groups had performed deliberate killings

Report cites crimes by Israeli Army, Palestinian militants starting Oct 7
Updated On : 12 Jun 2024 | 1:48 PM IST

More than 1.5 mn foreign Muslims arrive in Mecca for annual Hajj pilgrimage

Muslim pilgrims have been streaming into Saudi Arabia's holy city of Mecca ahead of the start of the Hajj later this week, as the annual pilgrimage returns to its monumental scale. Saudi officials say more than 1.5 million foreign pilgrims have arrived in the country by Tuesday, the vast majority by air, from across the world. More are expected, and hundreds of thousands of Saudis and others living in Saudi Arabia will also join them when the pilgrimage officially begins on Friday. Saudi officials have said they expect the number of pilgrims this year to exceed 2023, when more than 1.8 million people performed Hajj, approaching pre-pandemic levels. In 2019, more than 2.4 million Muslims made the pilgrimage. The pilgrims included 4,200 Palestinians from the occupied West Bank who arrived in Mecca earlier this month, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Awqaf and Religious Affairs. Palestinians in the Gaza Strip were not able to travel to Saudi Arabia for Hajj this year, because

More than 1.5 mn foreign Muslims arrive in Mecca for annual Hajj pilgrimage
Updated On : 12 Jun 2024 | 11:53 AM IST

Brics expresses concern over unprecedented escalation of violence in Gaza

The BRICS nations on Monday expressed grave concern over the "unprecedented" escalation of violence in the Gaza Strip as a result of Israeli military operations and reaffirmed their support for Palestine's full membership in the United Nations. At a meeting in Russia's Nizhny Novgorod, the BRICS foreign ministers reiterated the grouping's unwavering commitment to the vision of a two-state solution to the Palestine issue based on international law. Secretary (Economic Relations) in the Ministry of External Affairs Dammu Ravi represented India at the crucial meeting. The BRICS comprises Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa, Ethiopia, Iran, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates. "The ministers expressed grave concern at the deterioration of the situation in the occupied Palestinian territory, in particular the unprecedented escalation of violence in the Gaza Strip as a result of the Israeli military operation that led to mass civilian displacement, death and casualties," a joint ..

Brics expresses concern over unprecedented escalation of violence in Gaza
Updated On : 11 Jun 2024 | 9:35 AM IST

UNSC approves US-drafted proposal supporting ceasefire in Gaza war

The resolution was notably adopted with 14 votes in favor, zero against, and one abstention by Russia, as the country chose not to exercise its veto power

UNSC approves US-drafted proposal supporting ceasefire in Gaza war
Updated On : 11 Jun 2024 | 6:51 AM IST