Tuesday, February 17, 2026 | 02:02 AM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Page 43 - Hamas

10,000 Indian workers to reach Israel soon in batches starting next week

With Israel's construction sector suffering a severe manpower crisis post the October 7 conflict with Hamas, some 10,000 workers from India are to make their way here starting next week, industry sources said on Wednesday. These 10,000 workers will reach in batches of 700 to 1,000 a week, a source in the Israel's Builders Association (IBA) told PTI here. With Israel's latest conflict with Hamas in Gaza a little short of four months, and a ban on the entry of Palestinian workers and the departure of several thousand other foreign workers, the Israeli construction industry has been facing a deep crisis and several ongoing projects are getting either stalled or delayed. Following the conflict, Israel has banned the entry of Palestinian workers. The departure of several thousand other foreign workers, the Israeli construction industry has been facing a deep crisis. Israeli business daily The Calcalist in a report in Hebrew last week said that the quota of foreign manpower for the ...

10,000 Indian workers to reach Israel soon in batches starting next week
Updated On : 31 Jan 2024 | 4:17 PM IST

Houthis fire anti-ship missile towards Red Sea, shot down by US destroyer

Iranian-backed Houthis have fired one anti-ship cruise missile towards the Red Sea, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) said

Houthis fire anti-ship missile towards Red Sea, shot down by US destroyer
Updated On : 31 Jan 2024 | 11:49 AM IST

US suspends $300,000 funding to UNRWA amid probe into alleged Hamas ties

Last week, the US announced the temporary suspension of funding after reports surfaced about UNRWA staff potentially being linked to the Hamas attacks

US suspends $300,000 funding to UNRWA amid probe into alleged Hamas ties
Updated On : 31 Jan 2024 | 7:09 AM IST

IDF confirms channelling large volumes of water in suspected Hamas tunnels

"This is a significant tool in combating the threat of Hamas' underground terrorist infrastructure," it also said

Image
Updated On : 31 Jan 2024 | 7:01 AM IST

Israel's PM Netanyahu rejects 2 key Hamas demands for any cease-fire

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected two key demands Hamas has made during indirect cease-fire talks, saying Israel will not withdraw from the Gaza Strip or release thousands of jailed militants. During an event Tuesday in the occupied West Bank, Netanyahu again vowed that the war would not end without Israel's absolute victory over Hamas. Meanwhile, Israeli forces working undercover killed three Palestinian militants in a raid on a hospital in the West Bank, where violence has surged since the outbreak of the war in Gaza. The Israeli military said forces entered the Ibn Sina hospital in the northern city of Jenin early Tuesday and shot the three men, whom Hamas claimed as members. The military said the men were using the hospital as a hideout and that at least one was planning an attack. The Palestinian Health Ministry said the Israeli forces opened fire inside the hospital's wards and called on the international community to stop Israeli operations in ...

Israel's PM Netanyahu rejects 2 key Hamas demands for any cease-fire
Updated On : 31 Jan 2024 | 6:47 AM IST

Netanyahu rules out Gaza pullout, release of thousands of militants Hamas

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Tuesday that there will be no military withdrawal from Gaza or the release of thousands of jailed militants, two key demands of Hamas in ongoing indirect cease-fire talks. During an event in the occupied West Bank, he once again vowed that the war will not end without absolute victory over Hamas. We will not end this war without achieving all of our goals, he said. We will not pull out the Israeli military from the Gaza Strip and we will not release thousands of terrorists.

Netanyahu rules out Gaza pullout, release of thousands of militants Hamas
Updated On : 30 Jan 2024 | 8:22 PM IST

President Joe Biden vows response as Iran denies role in US base attack

The troops were the first Americans to die from a West Asia attack since regional tensions were inflamed by the start of the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza last October

President Joe Biden vows response as Iran denies role in US base attack
Updated On : 30 Jan 2024 | 12:41 AM IST

Israel notes 'significant gaps' after cease-fire talks with US, Qatar

Israel said significant gaps remain after cease-fire talks Sunday with the United States, Qatar and Egypt but called them constructive and said they would continue in the week ahead, a tentative sign of progress on a potential agreement that could see Israel pause military operations against Hamas in exchange for the release of remaining hostages. The US announced its first military deaths in the region since the war began and blamed Iran-backed militants for the drone strike in Jordan that killed three American service members amid concerns about a wider conflict. The statement from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office on the cease-fire talks did not say what the significant gaps were. There was no immediate statement from the other parties. The war has killed more than 26,000 Palestinians, according to local health officials, destroyed vast swaths of Gaza and displaced nearly 85 per cent of the territory's people. Israel says its air and ground offensive has killed

Israel notes 'significant gaps' after cease-fire talks with US, Qatar
Updated On : 29 Jan 2024 | 9:44 AM IST

US, Qatar lead high-stakes talks in Paris on Gaza hostage, ceasefire

Recent reports indicate a potential deal is closer, envisioning a two-month suspension of fighting in Gaza. The release of hostages would occur in two or three phases

US, Qatar lead high-stakes talks in Paris on Gaza hostage, ceasefire
Updated On : 28 Jan 2024 | 11:24 PM IST

What's arming Hamas? Increasingly stolen weapons from Israeli military

Analysts have pointed to smuggling routes to explain how Hamas stayed so heavily armed despite an Israeli military blockade of the Gaza Strip

What's arming Hamas? Increasingly stolen weapons from Israeli military
Updated On : 28 Jan 2024 | 10:36 PM IST

Israel-Hamas war: US sees signs of progress on deal to release hostages

US negotiators are making progress on a potential agreement under which Israel would pause military operations against Hamas in Gaza for two months in exchange for the release of more than 100 hostages who were captured in the Oct. 7 attack on Israel, according to two senior administration officials. The officials, who requested anonymity to discuss the sensitive discussions, said Saturday that emerging terms of the yet-to-be sealed deal would play out over two phases. In the first phase, fighting would stop to allow for the remaining women, elderly and wounded hostages to be released by Hamas. Israel and Hamas would then aim to work out details during the first 30 days of the pause for a second phase in which Israeli soldiers and civilian men would be released. The emerging deal also calls for Israel to allow more humanitarian aid into Gaza. While the proposed deal would not end the war, U.S. officials are hopeful that such an agreement could lay the groundwork for a durable ...

Israel-Hamas war: US sees signs of progress on deal to release hostages
Updated On : 28 Jan 2024 | 9:48 AM IST

Hamas war: Countries halt funding to UNRWA over complicity in Oct 7 attacks

Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz called on the UN to dismiss UNRWA chief Philippe Lazzarini and vowed to prevent the agency from having a role in post-war Gaza

Hamas war: Countries halt funding to UNRWA over complicity in Oct 7 attacks
Updated On : 28 Jan 2024 | 7:01 AM IST

US aims to use Israel-Hamas deal to open more lasting regional peace talks

The senior State Department official, who asked not to be identified discussing private conversations, said Secretary of State Antony Blinken had spoken recently to McGurk and Burns about the talks

US aims to use Israel-Hamas deal to open more lasting regional peace talks
Updated On : 27 Jan 2024 | 10:57 AM IST

PM Modi, Prez Macron express 'grave concerns' over Red Sea conflict

Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron expressed "grave concerns" at the possibility of further expansion of the conflict in the Middle-East, including in the Red Sea. A joint statement issued late on Friday night said the two leaders called for upholding the freedom of navigation in the Red Sea and underlined the need for respecting the international law of the sea. Modi and Macron held wide-ranging talks at a luxury palace on Thursday. The French President was the chief guest at the Republic Day celebrations in Delhi. The two leaders expressed "grave concern at the possibility of further expansion of the conflict in the region, including in the Red Sea", which already resulted a significant economic impact, the statement said. The Houthi militants have been attacking merchant vessels in the Red Sea since November, apparently in response to Israel's military offensive in Gaza. "They (Modi and Macron) recalled the utmost importance of upholding freedom o

PM Modi, Prez Macron express 'grave concerns' over Red Sea conflict
Updated On : 27 Jan 2024 | 7:47 AM IST

Israel must take steps to prevent acts of genocide in Gaza, says ICJ

South Africa brought the case to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) earlier this month, asking it to grant emergency measures to halt the fighting, which has killed more than 26,000 Palestinians

Israel must take steps to prevent acts of genocide in Gaza, says ICJ
Updated On : 26 Jan 2024 | 10:08 PM IST

Israel's El Al airline suspends South Africa route over World Court case

'Israelis don't want to fly to South Africa,' said an El Al spokesperson. "They are cancelling flights and planes are pretty empty... We understand it's the situation because it was different before

Israel's El Al  airline suspends South Africa route over World Court case
Updated On : 26 Jan 2024 | 8:38 PM IST

Mideast conflict impacting maritime safety in Indian Ocean: India to UNSC

The ongoing conflict in the Middle East between Israel and Hamas is impacting the safety of maritime commercial traffic in the Indian Ocean, including some attacks in the vicinity of India, a top Indian diplomat told members of the UN Security Council on Tuesday. The ongoing conflict is also impacting the safety of maritime commercial traffic in the Indian Ocean, including some attacks in the vicinity of India, R Ravindra, the Deputy Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations said in his remarks during a UNSC Open Debate on the Middle East. This is a matter of great concern to the international community and has a direct bearing on India's own energy and economic interests. This fraught situation is not to the benefit of any party, and this must be clearly recognised, Ravindra said. Ravindra said the message that India has conveyed since the start of this conflict is clear and consistent it is important to prevent escalation, to ensure continued delivery of humanitaria

Mideast conflict impacting maritime safety in Indian Ocean: India to UNSC
Updated On : 24 Jan 2024 | 8:00 AM IST

EU pushes for Palestinian statehood, rejecting Netanyahu 's insistence

'The declarations of Benjamin Netanyahu are worrying. There will be a need for a Palestinian state with security guarantees for all,' French Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Sejourne told reporters

EU pushes for Palestinian statehood, rejecting Netanyahu 's insistence
Updated On : 22 Jan 2024 | 11:10 PM IST

Kin of hostages in Gaza storm Israel's parliament asking for release deal

The developments showed the increasing pressure on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has dug in on both fronts

Kin of hostages in Gaza storm Israel's parliament asking for release deal
Updated On : 22 Jan 2024 | 10:59 PM IST

Biden, Netanyahu speak for first time in weeks during war tensions

Their conversation came a day after the Israeli leader rejected calls from the US and Arab nations for the Palestinian Authority to rule Gaza after the war with Hamas

Biden, Netanyahu speak for first time in weeks during war tensions
Updated On : 22 Jan 2024 | 10:51 PM IST