Adani Ports had earlier this month said it sold its sanction-hit Myanmar port for $30 million, significantly lower than its investment in the project
The government plans to develop the country's premier container port Jawaharlal Nehru Port as a fully smart port within one year, Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said on Thursday. Speaking at the 34th anniversary of the JNPA, the Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways said the government wants the facility to compete with the best ports in the world. "The government will develop JNPA into a fully smart port within one year. We want it to be a fully electronically connected system for better services," the minister said. He also said that Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA) has seen 29 industrial units coming up in its SEZ under the Sagarmala Project. The SEZ project at JNPA is part of the port-led industrialisation plan, developed on 277.38 hectares of freehold land by the JN Port, incorporating the land use plan of the port. An initiative under the Sagarmala national flagship policy of the shipping ministry, the SEZ is aimed at boosting exports, generating employment, ..
Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and Myanmar's Deputy Prime Minister Admiral Tin Aung San on Tuesday jointly inaugurated the Sittwe Port in Myanmar and received the first Indian cargo ship, according to an official statement. The cargo ship was flagged off from Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port, Kolkata. With the development of Sittwe Port, the cost and time of transportation of goods between Kolkata and Agartala and Aizwal will decrease by 50 per cent, the statement said. "This will promote trade connectivity and people-to-people ties between India and Myanmar and the wider region, and will help boost the economic development of NE states under Act East Policy of the government," the statement quoted Sonowal as saying. In his remarks at the inauguration ceremony, the minister for ports, shipping and waterways highlighted the close historical, cultural and economic ties between India and Myanmar, particularly the Rakhine State of Myanmar. He reiterated India's longstanding commitment .
The period 1999-2023 has been transformative for the Indian Ports Sector. Much of it has to do with the induction of private capital
The achievement was on the back of a jump in rail-borne cargo coupled with transhipment operations throughout the year that allowed capesize vessels to come to port
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA) on Monday said it has logged a record growth in container traffic at 6.05 million TEUs (Twenty-foot equivalent units) in FY23, a growth of 6.4 per cent over the year earlier. Total container traffic at the port in the fiscal year that ended March 31, 2022, was recorded at 5.68 million TEUs. The total traffic handled at the port during the just-concluded fiscal year stood at 83.86 MMT, which is 10.35 per cent higher than 76 MMT traffic handled for the same period of last year. "This proves our commitment towards making the Port a perfect getaway for EXIM trade. It is a token of port's consistent efforts and commitment to providing best services to our clients," said Sanjay Sethi, Chairman, JNPA. The port during the year also handled 6,504 container rakes and 1,022,951 TEUs as compared to 6,278 rakes and 1,008,079 TEUs during corresponding period of FY22, JNPA said. Sethi said that the container traffic at the port is expected to log 6.5 per ce
APSEZ will spend another Rs 850 cr over time to upgrade infrastructure and reduce the logistics cost for customers
"An area of land has already been earmarked for their protected habitation. There are also steps being taken to take care of the coral zone and mangroves"
Total 101 projects in respect of Ports and Shipping have so far been identified under PM Gati Shakti initiative worth Rs 60,872 crore for implementation. Out of these, 13 projects worth Rs 4,423 cr
The Adani group of companies is under pressure since Hindenburg Research, a small firm in the United States, levelled certain allegations
The Centre is aiming to increase the share of renewable energy to 60 per cent in the total power consumption of its major ports from a present share of less than 10 per cent, Union minister Sarbananda Sonowal said on Tuesday. The ports have also aimed to reduce carbon emissions per tonne of cargo handled by 30 per cent by the year 2030. "The Maritime Vision Document-2030, released by the Prime Minister, is a 10-Year blueprint on India's vision of a sustainable Maritime sector and vibrant blue economy," the Ports, Shipping and Waterways Minister said. The minister said that as envisioned in the National Hydrogen Mission, the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways has identified and nominated Paradip Port, Deendayal Port and V O Chidambaranar Port for developing them as hydrogen hubs, capable of handling, storage and generation of green hydrogen by the year 2030. The Ministry for Ports, Shipping and Waterways has undertaken green port initiatives in the major ports so that their .
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) on Thursday cleared the acquisition of stake in Hindustan Ports Pvt Ltd by National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF). The proposed transaction relates to NIIF's acquisition of up to 25 per cent in Hindustan Ports Pvt Ltd (HPPL). The regulator also approved the merger of Hindustan Infralog Pvt Ltd (HIPL) into HPPL. In a tweet on Thursday, the CCI said it has approved the "acquisition of up to 25 per cent shareholding in HPPL by National Investment and Infrastructure Fund and proposed merger of HIPL into HPPL". Last year in June, NIIF said it has invested Rs 2,250 crore in HPPL, a local arm of UAE's DP world. NIIF is an alternative investment fund and is sponsored and anchored by the government. HIPL and HPPL are engaged in providing container terminal services. In a separate tweet, the watchdog said it has given its nod to acquisition of 100 per cent equity shareholding of Lanco Anpara Power Ltd (LAPL) by Megha Engineering and ...
Foreign currency reserves have dwindled to a nine-year low of $3.68 billion
Both Joshimath and the Great Nicobar come under the high-risk seismic zone V category
Ambitious Rs 41k-cr transhipment terminal plan mired by environmental concerns
New Board to take over functions of the Tariff Authority for Major Ports (TAMP)
Twelve major ports handled cargo of 69.5 million tonnes in December, which is highest during current fiscal year
Poor shipping connectivity has hindered India's integration into the global value chain, according to a RBI report in 2022. The country scored 34% in the GVC participation index
A mob comprising anti-seaport protesters on Sunday night attacked the Vizhinjam police station here after one person was arrested in connection with violent protests that took place against the construction of the Adani port on November 26 here. The agitators besieged the police station seeking the release of those taken into custody over the clashes that erupted between two groups in Vizhinjam on Saturday and damaged the police vehicles parked outside. A few policemen sustained injuries in the attack. Media persons who were present at the site also came under attack. Four police jeeps and a minivan have been damaged. While nine police officials were injured and shifted to various hospitals. Police action has begun, police sources said. ACV local channel camera person Sherif M John was attacked by the protesters, who damaged his camera and snatched his cellphone. He has been shifted to Thiruvananthapuram Medical College Hospital. One person was arrested and few others taken into .
France and Germany are asking Italy's new far-right-led government to grant a safe port to nearly 1,000 people rescued by humanitarian groups in the central Mediterranean, some of whom have been stuck at sea for more than two weeks. Humanitarian groups caring for the rescued migrants on three ships in the central Mediterranean are sounding an alarm about deteriorating conditions, including people sleeping on floors in the cold and spreading fevers. Italy's new interior minister, Matteo Piantedosi, has drafted new measures alleging that the non-governmental groups violated procedure by not properly coordinating their rescues, a step setting the groundwork for Italy to close the ports. Piantedosi has also asked the countries whose flags they fly to intervene. Italy's posture, maintaining silence to repeated requests for a safe port, has effectively blocked three charity-run rescue boats at sea. It is reminiscent of Italy's anti-NGO policies under former Interior Minister Matteo Salvi