Rape convict Dera Sacha Sauda head Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh was on Monday sentenced to 10 years in jail on charges of rape of a female devotee in 1999 by the Special CBI Court of Panchkula. The self-styled godman will now be taken for a medical examination, after which he will be given a jail uniform and will be allotted a cell in the jail.
The Special CBI judge Jagdeep Singh had allotted 10 minutes each to both sides to put forth their arguments. The prosecution, reportedly, had demanded the maximum punishment for the rape convict.
The Defence had argued that Ram Rahim was a social worker, who had worked for the welfare of people, so the judge should take a lenient view.
Just minutes before the pronouncement of the sentence, two cars were reportedly torched by the Dera Sacha Sauda supporters in the Phoolka area of Haryana's Sirsa.
Just before the judge was about to announce the quantum of sentence, reports of violence trickled in. Two cars were reportedly torched by Dera Sacha Sauda supporters in the Phoolka area of Haryana's Sirsa.
After the self-styled godman's conviction on Friday, large-scale violence by his followers in parts of Haryana, Punjab and Delhi, resulting in the deaths of 38 people. Ram Rahim is lodged in a Rohtak district jail.
* Nine people, including rape convict Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, are present in the courtroom.
* Defence argued Gurmeet Ram Rahim is a social worker who has worked for welfare of people, so judge should take a lenient view.
* CBI sought maximum punishment (10 years imprisonment). CBI states it is a rare case.
* Meanwhile, Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh held security review meeting with DGP, chief secretary and other senior officials.
* 2 cars torched by Dera Sacha Sauda supporters in Phoolka area of Haryana's Sirsa
ALSO READ: 7 yrs or life for Gurmeet Ram Rahim? 10 crucial developments