Atul Singh, the brother of a rape-accused BJP MLA, was arrested in Unnao on Tuesday. According to a police spokesperson, a crime branch team arrested Atul Singh Sengar, on the directions of the state police chief. An 18-year-old girl alleged that she was raped by BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar and his brothers. On Monday, her father died in custody in Unnao. The postmortem report, according to the police states the rape-victim's father died of "shock and septicemia". The girl on the other hand says her father was brutally beaten up by the BJP lawmaker's brother while lodged in while Uttar Pradesh police custody.
The BJP lawmaker rejected the charge as a conspiracy by his opponents. He further said that the complainant belonged to a "low class". "They are low-status people (“nimn star ke log hain”)... This is a conspiracy by criminals," Sengar told reporters.
The woman's father, aged around 50, was rushed to a hospital from the district jail late Sunday night. He died during treatment on 9 April, officials said. He was arrested on 5 April under the Arms Act, they added. Four accused - Sonu, Baua, Vinit and Shailu - named in the FIR registered on April 4 for beating up Pappu had been arrested. The complaint was lodged by Asha Singh wife of Surendra Singh alias Pappu. He was arrested on April 5 under the Arms Act after he was allegedly beaten up by Anil Singh, the MLA's brother.
Here are the top 10 developments surrounding the Unnao rape case:
1. BJP MLA's brother arrested: Atul Singh, the brother of a rape-accused BJP MLA, was arrested in Unnao on Tuesday, police said. According to a police spokesperson, a crime branch team arrested Atul Singh Sengar, on the directions of the state police chief.
2. Complainant belonged to a 'low class', says BJP MLA: BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar rejected the rape charge as a conspiracy by his opponents. He further said that the complainant belonged to a "low class". "They are low-status people (“nimn star ke log hain”)... This is a conspiracy by criminals," Sengar told reporters.
3. Want BJP MLA to be hanged till death, says alleged rape victim: "Kuldeep Singh (Sengar) isn't being arrested. I don't know if his brother is arrested. I demand that they be hanged till death. They've made my life miserable. I want justice. They killed my father", says 18-year-old girl who was allegedly gangraped by the BJP lawmaker and his brother.
4. Accused BJP MLA refuses to resign: Bhartiya Janata Party Unnao MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar refused to resign from his post following the allegations of rape against him. Speaking to the media, Sengar said, "If somebody's name crops up into some issue does not mean that he shall resign". He further went on to dismiss the entire incident by saying that the allegations are completely wrong.
5. Rape victim's father died of shock, says postmortem: Postmortem report states 'cause of death shock and septicemia due to peritonitis and ascending colon perforation', says Anand Kumar, ADG Law and Order.
Chief Medical Officer of Unnao, SP Chaudhary said, "When the patient was brought here his intestine had been damaged and hence he contacted an infection, as a result he went into shock and later passed away".
April 9, 2018
6. 'Man died of vomiting and abdominal pain': Earlier the police claimed that the girl's father died of abdominal pain. "The man was admitted to the hospital last night after he complained of abdominal pain and vomiting. He passed away in the early morning hours," Dr Atul, District hospital of Unnao said about the father of the alleged rape victim.
7. 'Victim's father killed by police': Surendra Singh, whose daughter accused BJP legislator from Unnao Kuldeep Singh Sengar of raping her, was picked up by police late on Sunday and was apparently beaten mercilessly by four aides of the legislator as well as police personnel. An official said the man had serious injuries on his body and was not taken to a hospital till late in the night. A doctor at the district hospital, where he was eventually taken, told the media that he was brought with serious abdominal pain and vomiting.
The 18-year-old girl claimed that her father sustained multiple injuries after he was beaten up by the BJP MLA's brother and some of his accomplices a few days ago. The victim's family further alleged that the MLA's brother had thrashed the woman's father on April 3 for refusing to withdraw the FIR, but the police booked the father instead and locked him up.
8. Victim's sister demands justice: Earlier on Monday, six police personnel were suspended and four accused were arrested for allegedly beating up the victim's father in the jail who had passed away earlier on the same day after suffering from abdominal pain and vomiting.
9. Six police officers suspended: Earlier on Monday, six police personnel were suspended and four accused were arrested for allegedly beating up the victim's father in the jail who had passed away earlier on the same day after suffering from abdominal pain and vomiting.
10. "Arrest the rapist or I'll kill myself": The girl told mediapersons, "that the BJP MLA should be arrested, and until he is not, I am not going back home… I will take my life otherwise… I was threatened that if I tell anyone my family members will be killed and thrown away.
Rahul Gandhi hits out at BJP government in UP: Congress president Rahul Gandhi hit out at the BJP-led government in Uttar Pradesh today over the death of the father of an alleged gang-rape rape victim, after he was brought into custody by the state police, while an MLA of the ruling party, who had been accused of the rape, was still roaming free. He also took a dig at the BJP's "Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao" slogan in support of the girl child.
"Save the girl, get yourself killed. A young girl accuses a BJP MLA of rape...", he tweeted.
Police took no action despite FIR: Victim
The victim, while speaking to ANI, alleged that BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar and his fellow accomplices had raped her, but no action was taken. She also stated that she and her family were threatened after they had filed an FIR.