A surge in Amazon.com shares on Thursday morning in advance of the online retailer’s earnings report has propelled founder Jeff Bezos past Bill Gates as the world’s richest person. Shares of the online retailer rose 1.3 per cent to $1,065.92 at 10:10 am in New York, giving Bezos a net worth of $90.9 billion, versus $90.7 billion for Gates. If that holds through the 4pm close, Bezos, 53, will leapfrog Gates, the Microsoft co-founder, on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Gates, 61, has held the top spot since May 2013. Investors and analysts, in addition to watching Amazon’s ...
- Muharraq: Old capital fell into disuse after collapse of the pearl trade
- German theatre asks guests to wear swastikas for Hitler play 'Mein Kampf'
- Two Palestinians killed by Israeli forces on Gaza Strip: Medics
- Meghan Markle has power to change the world, says Priyanka Chopra
- Trump reduces hurdles for sale of military drones to allies like India
- Malaysian plane skids off runway in Nepal; close shave for 139 on board
- How high demand for a tutor made this maths teacher in China a billionaire
- England's Premier League football teams have never been so profitable
- The extraordinary rise of Pakistan's only female banking CEO Sima Kamil
- More than half of world's wealthy expect to live to 100, says survey
First Published: Fri, July 28 2017. 08:53 IST