WebinarsNew
Deep DiveNew
Explore Business Standard
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the Delhi High Court on Wednesday that there was no tampering with the OMR sheets of candidates of the NEET-UG re-test. Appearing in a PIL on the issue, Mehta said that "loose kind of drafting and arguments" alleging "large-scale tampering" in the re-test ought not be allowed as they would set a "narrative". "There is no tampering in any OMR sheet. None of this has happened. Don't sensationalise," he submitted before a bench of Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia. The bench was hearing the PIL by two NEET-UG candidates seeking additional marks for themselves, as well as "similarly affected candidates" for certain dropped questions, and scrapping of the National Testing Agency (NTA). One of the petitioners also alleged that her OMR sheet had been tampered with. The PIL sought the constitution of an expert committee to look into the concerns over irregularities in the examination raised by the petitioners. Mehta stated that the .
The Supreme Court on Thursday agreed to hear a plea filed by a Rajya Sabha lawmaker challenging the alleged deployment of facial recognition technology and other biometric surveillance measures by Delhi Police during the recent student protest at Jantar Mantar here. A bench of Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and V Mohana directed the matter be tagged with earlier petitions on the issue. Senior advocate Menaka Guruswamy, appearing for Rajya Sabha MP AA Rahim, said there are two issues which are a matter of concern-facial recognition of protestors done by Delhi police and data stored by private companies. "One maps your face and one is a vehicle. So spectacles are used and a vehicle is also used. And that data is all taken without permission. These private entities host the data. In violation of the rules," she submitted. The bench said it would hear the petition along with other related matters. Rahim, who is member of the Rajya Sabha from Kerala for the Commu
The government's efforts for a debate on the students' agitation in the Lok Sabha on the penultimate day of the Monsoon session came to nought with the opposition rejecting Home Minister Amit Shah's proposal for a two-day discussion on the NEET paper leaks and other issues followed by a reply from him. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju suggested that the Monsoon Session could be extended if the opposition agrees to a discussion on Thursday. "Extension of the session is a very small matter. We are saying that even if Congress says at 11 am tomorrow that it is ready for discussion, we will extend the time," he said while responding to a query during a media interaction. Sources said the options of extending the session or a special sitting or special session are open but everything depends on the opposition's cooperation. The fast-paced developments -- which finally ended with the House being adjourned for the day -- kicked off with Shah first daring the opposition to submi
A Delhi court on Wednesday took cognisance of the CBI's chargesheet in the NEET paper leak case. Special Judge Ajay Gupta took cognisance of the agency's final report against 13 accused. The CBI recently submitted its final report before the designated fast-track court dealing with "criminal cases arising from paper leaks as well as the use of other unfair means in public examinations". The court is likely to begin hearing the arguments on charges from Thursday. During the proceedings, the agency informed the court that some witnesses whose names are being published in the media could even be minors, and portions of the chargesheet are continuously being published in newspapers. The court expressed displeasure over the media publishing the names of witnesses in the case. It said, "This is very shocking Whatever has not yet been stated in court and is currently part of the chargesheet All of that being made public in the media is extremely shocking. It said that a responsible med
A Delhi court on Wednesday took cognisance of the CBI's chargesheet in the NEET paper leak case. Special Judge Ajay Gupta took cognisance of the agency's final report against 13 accused. The CBI recently submitted its final report before the designated fast-track court dealing with "criminal cases arising from paper leaks as well as the use of other unfair means in public examinations". The court is likely to begin hearing the arguments on charges from Thursday. During the proceedings, the agency informed the court that some witnesses whose names are being published in the media could even be minors, and portions of the chargesheet are continuously being published in newspapers. The court expressed displeasure over the media publishing the names of witnesses in the case. It said, "This is very shocking Whatever has not yet been stated in court and is currently part of the chargesheet All of that being made public in the media is extremely shocking. It said that a responsible med