You are here: Home » Companies » News
Business Standard

Coal Ministry to issue notice to firms sitting on mines

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Amid furore over the CAG draft report estimating Rs 10.67 lakh crore losses to the exchequer on account of coal mines allocation, the government will begin issuing notices from tomorrow to firms sitting idle on blocks.

"We will begin the process of issuing show cause notices to around 58 block holders, including, NTPC, SAIL, Jindal Steel & Power and GVK Power, that were allocated mines for captive use from tomorrow," a top official in the Coal Ministry said.

The development follows reports that an initial draft by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) has estimated a loss of Rs 10.67 lakh crore loss to the exchequer on account of allotment of coal blocks to 100 private and public sector during 2004 to 2009.

The decision to issue show-cause notices to the firms sitting idle on captive coal blocks was taken by a panel looking into the development of reserves, sources said.


Concerned over the increasing demand supply gap, the Ministry in January this year had reviewed the progress of mines allocated to companies, including Tata Steel, Coal India, SAIL and NTPC for captive use.

The progress of the blocks allocated to Jindal Power, Jindal Steel & Power, Balco and MMTC was also reviewed during the two-day meeting.

Last year, the Coal Ministry had cancelled allotment of 14 coal and one lignite block to six PSUs, including NTPC, and three private firms for failing to develop mines.

However, in January government gave back six coal blocks of the deallocated mines to firms, including Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) and Tenughat Vidyut Nigam Ltd (TVNL) and NTPC.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Sun, March 25 2012. 13:41 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.