- Kerala nurse tested positive for coronavirus: Serious matter, CM to Centre
- Communication gap behind DoT seeking Rs 3 trn from non-telco PSUs: Pradhan
- Top headlines: Malaysia's bid to placate India, RBI may hold rates and more
- If I was not a minister today, would be bidding for Air India: Piyush Goyal
- Delhi sees traffic jams as roads shut due to Republic Day dress rehearsal
- Pak spews venom, takes to hate speech like fish takes to water: India at UN
- CM is supreme: Haryana minister Anil Vij after losing charge of CID
- Case against Mohammed Azharuddin, 2 others for 'cheating' travel agent
- Saudi prince may have sent spyware via Whatsapp to hack Bezos' phone: Probe
- Best of BS Opinion: Governing unlisted firms, Budget 2020, and more
Bharat Bandh LIVE updates: Normal life affected in Kerala, Bengal, Assam
Bharat Bandh LIVE updates: Banking services like deposit and withdrawal, cheque clearing and instrument issuance are expected to be impacted due to the strike
Ten central trade unions have called for Bharat Bandh, a nationwide strike, today against government's "disinvestment, privatisation and labour reform policies". Central trade unions like INTUC, AITUC, HMS, CITU, AIUTUC, TUCC, SEWA, AICCTU, LPF, UTUC along with various bank employee associations, including AIBEA, All India Bank Officers' Association (AIBOA), BEFI, INBEF, INBOC and Bank Karmachari Sena Mahasangh (BKSM) will be participating in the strike. Banking, transport and other services across the country are likely to be hit today. However, services at private sector banks are unlikely to be impacted.
Trade unions feel that the government is disrespectful towards workers in its “policy and action.” One of the key demands of the unions has been to increase the minimum wages of workers.
This is the fourth nationwide strike called by 10 central trade unions since the Narendra Modi-led National Democratic Alliance government came to power in 2014.
Meanwhile, in Kerala, the trade unions exempted the state's tourism sector from today's general strike.