- DSP Davinder Singh arrested while ferrying terrorists to be probed by NIA
- We must speak out now or we will regret later: Amarinder Singh slams CAA
- ED examines profit sharing structure within Edelweiss group companies
- Now malls, pubs can remain open 24/7 in select parts of Mumbai from Jan 26
- Spread the message of development in J-K: PM tells union ministers
- India on course to bumper harvest; wheat acreage touches record high
- Bullet train: SC agrees to hear farmers' pleas against land acquisition
- In a first, Kolkata Port Trust tableau to take part in Republic Day parade
- Russia starts making S-400 missiles for India, to be delivered by 2025
- Nirbhaya case: All four convicts to be now hanged on Feb 1 at 6 am
Bharat Bandh LIVE updates: Normal life affected in Kerala, Bengal, Assam
Bharat Bandh LIVE updates: Banking services like deposit and withdrawal, cheque clearing and instrument issuance are expected to be impacted due to the strike
Ten central trade unions have called for Bharat Bandh, a nationwide strike, today against government's "disinvestment, privatisation and labour reform policies". Central trade unions like INTUC, AITUC, HMS, CITU, AIUTUC, TUCC, SEWA, AICCTU, LPF, UTUC along with various bank employee associations, including AIBEA, All India Bank Officers' Association (AIBOA), BEFI, INBEF, INBOC and Bank Karmachari Sena Mahasangh (BKSM) will be participating in the strike. Banking, transport and other services across the country are likely to be hit today. However, services at private sector banks are unlikely to be impacted.
Trade unions feel that the government is disrespectful towards workers in its “policy and action.” One of the key demands of the unions has been to increase the minimum wages of workers.
This is the fourth nationwide strike called by 10 central trade unions since the Narendra Modi-led National Democratic Alliance government came to power in 2014.
Meanwhile, in Kerala, the trade unions exempted the state's tourism sector from today's general strike.