You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

CBI chief says will hit back with perjury case against Bhushan

Says ready to recuse himself from the investigation into 2G spectrum scam if directed by the Supreme Court

BS Reporters  |  New Delhi 

Terming the charges against him “patently false”, an embattled Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director Ranjit Sinha on Thursday decided to file a perjury case against lawyer Prashant Bhushan. “Director Ranjit Sinha, on the basis of legal advice, has decided to file a case of perjury for malicious, deliberate and intentional false statement made before the apex court,” said a CBI spokesperson.

When contacted by Business Standard, Bhushan said, “Let him file.” Bhushan is representing the Centre for Public Interest Litigation, the petitioner in the case.

Sinha has been in the midst of a controversy over leaked documents that showed details of visitors, including representatives of companies involved in the 2G telecom spectrum and coal block allocation scams, meeting him at his residence.

In an application last week, the Centre for Public Interest Litigation had sought Sinha be removed from the probe into the 2G spectrum scam as he was allegedly trying to protect influential people involved in the case. On Thursday, non-governmental organisation Common Cause sought Sinha’s recusal from the probe into the coal bock allocation scam, too. Common Cause’s petition will be heard on Tuesday by a bench headed by Chief Justice R M Lodha.

Earlier in the day, Sinha had said he was ready to recuse himself from the investigation into 2G spectrum scam if the Supreme Court passed such an order.

Sinha’s counsel told the court the CBI chief’s reputation was being tarnished “without anybody taking responsibility”. Saying he could prove the allegations weren’t true, he sought the media be restraint from bringing out reports that tarnished Sinha’s image. But this was declined by the court bench, headed by judge H L Dattu. “The press knows its freedom; we expect it will show responsibility in such a sensitive matter,” the judges said.

The judges asked Bhushan to file a proper application, with an affidavit affirming the contents. The court will take up the matter again on Monday. Till then, the documents already presented by Bhushan will be kept in sealed covers in the court and none of the parties will have access to these. The Centre has also been denied permission to see the documents.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Fri, September 05 2014. 00:33 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.