- Jet Airways founder Naresh Goyal, wife stopped from flying abroad
- The climate refugees: Sunderband seas sink islands, render people homeless
- Dabholkar murder case: CBI arrests defence lawyer, Sanatan Sanstha member
- Impressed with PM, Muslim woman has her way, names newborn Narendra Modi
- India should cut interest rates amid US-China trade war tensions: Ficci
- Pak arrests 6 for collecting funds for Jaish-e-Mohammad, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi
- Surat fire: Toll climbs to 22, coaching class owner held, 2 on the run
- Manpasand Beverages MD, officials arrested in Rs 40 crore GST fraud
- Surat fire: Police arrests coaching centre owner, builders absconding
- Musa killing: Curfew continues for second day in parts of Kashmir
Cyclone Fani LIVE updates: 12 killed in Bangladesh, 12 in Odisha
Cyclone Fani is being seen as the most severe cyclonic storm over the east coast in nearly two decades. Stay with us for latest updates
Trees bend with gusty winds ahead of the landfall of cyclone Fani, in Bhubaneswar | PTI
Cyclone Fani, one of the strongest storms to batter the Indian subcontinent in decades, has weakened into a "cyclonic storm leaving no more major threat" for West Bengal on Saturday.
At present, the cyclone, which is situated at Shantipur in Nadia district about 60 km north of Kolkata, is likely to enter Bangaldesh around Saturday noon.
Trees were uprooted in the coastal cities in the state and a few places in Kolkata as the cyclone entered Bengal post-midnight hours after making landfall and causing havoc in Odisha on Friday.
After all flights from Bhubaneswar and Kolkata airports were grounded on Friday, the NSC Bose airport here resumed operations at 9.57 am on Saturday.
Cyclone Fani made a landfall in Puri on Odisha coast on Friday, packing rain and windstorm that gusted up to 175 kmph, leaving at least three people dead. Large areas in the seaside pilgrim town of Puri and other places were submerged with water as heavy rains battered the entire coastal belt of the state.
A teenage boy was among the dead. While the boy died when a tree collapsed on him in Puri, flying debris from a concrete structure left a woman dead in Nayagarh. An elderly woman died of heart attack at a relief shelter in Kendrapara district.