You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

Hajj stampede: Death toll of Indians crosses 100

32 Indian nationals still remain missing

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Muslim pilgrims and first responders gather around bodies of people crushed in Mina, Saudi Arabia during the annual Hajj pilgrimage
Muslim pilgrims and first responders gather around bodies of people crushed in Mina, Saudi Arabia during the annual Hajj pilgrimage

The of in the Haj has risen to 101 even as 32 nationals still remain missing after the last month's tragedy.

"Saudi authorities have identified more pilgrims who died in Haj The toll of Indian pilgrims is now 101. We have 32 missing," External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said on twitter today.

Minister of State for External Affairs V K Singh was in for the identification process of the missing by the Saudi authorities, MEA Spokesperson Vikas Swarup had said yesterday.

"The minister sought the intervention of the Saudi Health Minister to find the identities of all the Indian pilgrims. He also conveyed that several missing cases were still pending with the Indian mission and it can only be resolved after the identification process is complete. Singh has been assured of all support and assistance by the Saudi minister," he had said.

The Haj on September 24 broke out after two massive lines of pilgrims converged on each other from different directions at an intersection close to the five- storey Jamarat Bridge in Mina for symbolic stoning of the devil.

It was the second major accident this year for Haj pilgrims after a construction crane collapsed on September 11 at Mecca's Grand Mosque, killing over 100 people, including 11

First Published: Fri, October 09 2015. 09:57 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU