You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

NRC: Veteran who served 30 yrs in Indian Army excluded from citizen list

The draft, which was released on July 30, left out nearly 40 lakh people in Assam

Topics
Indian Army  |  Nrc Assam  |  National Register Of Citizens

ANI  |  Guwahati (Assam) [India] 

former officer, Indian Army officer, Mohammad A Haq, NRC list
Mohammad served the Indian Army between September 1986 and September 2016

Mohammad A Haq, who served for the for 30 years as Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) before retiring, is upset with the government for not including his and his family's names in the recently announced final Register of Citizens (NRC) draft.

"I served in the for 30 years. I am really sad that my name is not mentioned in the NRC list. I served the nation with commitment. I have legacy data of my parents. The investigation should be fair and friendly," Mohammad A Haq told ANI.

Mohammad served the Ithe ndian Army between September 1986 and September 2016.

He next hopes that government will help him and his family.

ALSO READ: Final draft of NRC released: 4 million from Assam find no mention in list

The draft, which was released on July 30, left out nearly 40 lakh people in Assam, incorporating names of 2.89 crore people out of 3.29 crore applicants. Since then, the Opposition has been at loggerheads with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led Centre over the issue.

ALSO READ: Assam NRC: Will give opportunities to prove citizenship, says Rajnath

The first draft was published on December 31, 2017, and names of 1.9 crore of the 3.29 crore applicants were incorporated.

The features the names, addresses and photographs of all Indian citizens, who have been residing in the northeastern state before March 25, 1971.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Thu, August 02 2018. 07:24 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.