Economist and psephologist Ashok Lahiri possibly got his first taste of realpolitik after he was dropped as a candidate of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the West Bengal Assembly elections from Alipurduar under duress. Lahiri was moved to Balurghat. Suman Kanjilal, the BJP’s Alipurduar district secretary, wrested the nomination after leading protests against Lahiri.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
SUBSCRIBE TO INSIGHTS
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!