As many as six people including Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) commander Aslam Baloch were killed in a suicide bombing attack that took place here on Monday (December 24), sources have confirmed.
Tolo News quoted the Afghan Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Wednesday confirming that the suicide bomb explosion, which targeted a vehicle, took the lives of six civilians in Aino Mina Township in Kandahar city. However, the Afghan ministry did not confirm reports on the murder of the Baloch leader
"A number of civilians were killed as a result of the suicide attack in Aino Mina township. Six people were killed, and two others were wounded. It is said that a number of Baloch nationals were among those martyred," said Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish.
According to sources, the Baloch leader had been residing in Kandahar since 2005. He was openly criticising Pakistan and the Chinese government for their policies and motives in Balochistan.
BLA has also carried out several attacks against Chinese workers engaged in the multi-million dollar China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) in Balochistan.
Recently, the BLA claimed responsibility of carrying out suicide attacks on Chinese consulate in Pakistan's Karachi city on November 23. Commander Aslam Baloch said that BLA will continue the fight against Pakistan and China in Balochistan.
In an interview, Aslam Baloch also claimed that the growing Chinese presence in the region is posing a threat to their fight for sovereignty against Pakistan.
Baloch also blamed China for looting the resources in Balochistan in the name of mega projects by calling it CPEC. "However, in the wake of these mega projects in Balochistan and Sindh region, both China and Pakistan are strengthening their military power. They are fooling the international community in the name of CPEC," he had further stated.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)