Business Standard

3 dead, thousands homeless after night fire in Kenyan slum

IANS  |  Nairobi 

Three persons were killed and thousands were left homeless following a fierce blaze that broke out in a Kenyan slum here, an official said on Monday.

The National Disaster Management Unit Deputy Director Pius Masai said they fear the toll from Sunday's fire that affected 6,000 families, might rise.

Multi-agencies were still combing the scene in efforts to know more about the fire that broke out in Lang'ata's Kijiji slum around 9 p.m. on Sunday, Xinhua news agency reported.

"We appeal to anyone missing a family member to report to Lang'ata police station or at the command post," he said, adding that one of the deceased had been identified.

The fierce flames, sparked by a short-circuit, tore through hundreds of the closely built structures, leaving thousands of residents with huge losses.

Masai also appealed for donation of food and non-food items. The affected people were camping at a school and there was a threat of an outbreak of disease.

--IANS

in/bg

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, January 29 2018. 16:56 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU